For the last week I have been all over the place. We spent a few days in our hometown, which was a great change of pace, and provided a much needed break for both of us. Then we headed to NYC for a little vacation.
We got back late Saturday and I slept for 12 hours straight. What is it about travel that just sucks the life right out of you?! Really, we had spent most of the day waiting so I shouldn’t have been that tired, but I just crashed.
Yesterday morning I knew I wanted to make something filling and healthy after eating out for a whole week. So I decided to make huge omelets filled with as much good stuff as I could think of.
I’ve got to tell you, these are awesome.
This is actually probably more of an idea than an actual recipe. I didn’t measure the ingredients too closely because I put different amounts of fillings in the omelet based on what we both like. Mr. Maebell got more meat and cheese. Mine had more veggies. These are so simple to customize to your personal preferences.
Here is how I did it!
Your round up includes some nice chunks of Feta cheese and a big handful of spinach or salad mix. I actually just used the Organic Power Salad mix from Kroger, but any sort of green will do. A handful of cherry tomatoes, steak, and of course, eggs.
I pan seared some little round steaks. We love these. They are so darn handy to keep around. Then I just sliced them up and sprinkled a little salt and pepper.
Now I am a rebel so I don’t flip my omelets. I do this because if I try to flip it I will always always ruin it. I will tear the egg or flip it out of the skillet. So, instead I pour my beaten egg into the heated skillet and put a lid on it. It works like magic! No flipping and your egg totally cooks through.
You can see in the picture most of the egg is set but not completely. This is the point where I normally add my fillings. So I threw in the steak, feta, greens, and the tomatoes. Then just fold the other side of the egg right over the top and let it cook about 30 seconds more.
That is it! Now you can start your day with a big, beautiful Steak+Feta Powder Omelet!
A major power breakfast! Juicy steak, big chunks of feta cheese and a mix of veggies make this the ultimate breakfast!
10 minPrep Time
3 minCook Time
13 minTotal Time
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup cooked and sliced steak
- 1/2 cup baby spinach or other greens
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons diced cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- To cook the steak:
- I threw 1 pound of thinly sliced round steaks in 1 tablespoon of Dale's reduced sodium marinade. I heated a large skillet with two tablespoons of olive oil to medium heat. I cooked the steak for approximately 2 minutes on each side. I removed the cooked steak from the skillet and sprinkled with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the Steak and Feta Power Omelet:
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Spray well with cooking spray.
- Pour in the beaten eggs and cover with a lid. You do not want your eggs to bubble up. If they are reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cook eggs with lid on for 2 minutes.
- Eggs should be mostly set. (If they are not set, give it another 30 seconds to one minute covered.
- Add the steak, greens, feta, and tomatoes to one side of the omelet and fold the other side over the toppings.
- Let it cook approximately 20 more seconds, carefully remove from skillet.
*Notes: As pictured this is a 3 egg omelet and works well in a 10 inch skillet. If you prefer a 2 egg omelet I suggest using a 5-7 inch skillet.
Remember, the measurements for the fillings are meant more as a guide. Adjust them according to your own personal preferences.