This Homemade Enchilada Sauce uses easy to find pantry staples to make a flavorful sauce you will love! Way better than the canned stuff! And gluten-free!
Mexican food! It is all I want. I tend to go overboard so generally whatever I am craving at the moment I go grocery shopping is what we have for an entire week. This week included nachos, tacos, enchiladas, and tex mex stuffed peppers. Ha!
Variety is not my middle name.
I love enchiladas and could eat them all the time, but I am kind of picky about my enchilada sauce. I want a thick full bodied sauce, not a thin sauce that obsorbs into the tortillas. I want to taste the chili powder and the cumin, and cilantro must be absolutely nowhere in sight.
And the enchilada filling? Pure and simple. Ground beef and sharp cheddar cheese. Oh yes. I might trash up and complicate all kinds of other recipes, but my enchiladas are simple. Why mess with perfection?!
This naturally gluten-free enchilada sauce is such a cinch to throw together. Just tomato sauce, garlic and loads of spices. I just let it simmer on the stove to make sure all of the flavors meld together perfectly and voila, your done!
What Ingredients Are Needed for Red Enchilada Sauce?
Making enchilada sauce from scratch requires just a handful of ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need to make this quick enchilada sauce:
- Olive oil
- Spices (chili powder, oregano, cumin, onion powder, garlic salt)
- Hot sauce
- Canned tomato sauce
How to Make Homemade Enchilada Sauce
I’ve given detailed instructions in the recipe card below on how to make this easy enchilada sauce. Here’s an overview of the process:
- Sauté the garlic in a little olive oil.
- Add the hot sauce and spices. Cook until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and water.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, or until reduced and thickened.
How Long Does Homemade Enchilada Sauce Last?
This gluten-free enchilada sauce will last up to 7 days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze Enchilada Sauce?
Yes! Store in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight.
Tips for the BEST Enchilada Sauce
- I used Texas Pete hot sauce, but you can use any kind you’d like.
- If making gluten-free enchiladas with this homemade red enchilada sauce, I recommend using corn tortillas. To prevent them from cracking, I wrap them in a kitchen towel and microwave them for about 30-40 seconds so they are nice and hot when I roll them up with the filling. They don’t fall apart as easily if you work with them when they are warm!
- For spicier homemade enchilada sauce, add extra hot sauce and / or chili powder. You can also add a pinch of cayenne.
More Easy Mexican Recipes:
- One-Pan Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- One-Pan Taco Mac
- Taco Lasagna
- Cheesy Keto Taco Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (ancho chili powder works well if you want more spice)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat a small sauce pan to medium heat.
- Add olive oil and garlic, stirring for about 20 seconds until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion powder, hot sauce, garlic salt, and salt, stirring mixture for about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato sauce and water, stir well.
- Bring mixture to a light simmer, cover and reduce heat to low. Let mixture simmer 20 minutes.
- This recipe makes enough for a 9x13 pan of enchiladas.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 77Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 925mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g
To avoid any confusion I remove erythritol from the final carb count and net carb count, as it is not known to affect blood glucose levels. To calculate Keto recipes listed on this site carbs - fiber = net carbs. I use Nutrifox as my nutrition calculator. This nutrition information is an estimate based on the information provided by Nutrifox and the specific ingredients I used.