Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcakes with Maple Frosting! An awesome Holiday Dessert!
I’m going to go ahead and say what we are all thinking. How in the WORLD is it December already? For me every year seems the same. The begin inning of the year are those very cold and dreary months so they seem to drag forever. Spring goes by faster because it is such a nice change of pace. Summer lasts a long time because the days are bright and it is so hot. Fall absolutely flies by and then here comes winter. I’m just not totally sure how we got here this fast!
What do you like most about this time of year? The holiday parties or the gift giving? Maybe you actually like the snow and cold weather? For me it is the baking. I really love holiday baking! Especially if you are baking to give as gifts, I think that can be one of the most thoughtful things to do this time of year.
I know some may think gluten free baking seems impossible or have these preconceived notions about what gluten free baked goods taste like but I think that is a really outdated thought. If you use the correct ingredients you can easily make a gluten free holiday treat everyone will love!
These Gingerbread Cupcakes with Maple Syrup are very simple to make. They don’t have any unusual ingredients and thanks to Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour you do not have to mix a ton of alternative flours together, you simply use it as you would any regular all purpose flour. This flour combines finely ground brown rice flour, sweet white rice flour, whole grain sorghum flour, potato starch, and tapioca flour with a touch of xanthan gum – just enough xanthan gum to create chewy cookies and springy muffins. In addition to the flour these cupcakes are packed with brown sugar, molasses, buttermilk, cinnamon, ginger and other spices to create a perfectly moist and fluffy gingerbread cupcake!
Of course, we can’t forget the frosting! This frosting is a mixture of cream cheese, maple syrup and cinnamon that helps to highlight the distinct gingerbread flavors in the cupcakes! It is the perfect holiday treat that just happens to be entirely gluten free!
- For the Gingerbread Cupcakes
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 (3 ounce package) vanilla pudding mix
- For the Maple Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced fat cream cheese, room temp
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment beat the butter for about two minutes until light and fluffy. Add the brown sugar and beat until the sugar is completely incorporated and the texture is very light.
- Add the egg, buttermilk, molasses and combine well.
- In another bowl mix the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon, apple pie spice and pudding mix.
- With your stand mixer running carefully spoon in the flour mixture until it is completely combined. The mixture will be thick.
- Spray a standard 12 count muffin tin with cooking spray and fill each well 3/4 full.
- Bake 20 minutes and let cool completely before frosting.
- For the Maple Frosting
- Beat the cream cheese, sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon until completely combined and light and fluffy. If you feel it is not thick enough add a few tablespoons of powdered sugar at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
More Delicious Desserts
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.