These Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are the perfect keto appetizer! Using only five ingredients, this low carb recipe is ready in under 15 minutes and is about 3 net carbs per serving!
Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Stuffed mushrooms are one of those classic dishes that are always a crowd pleaser. They’re one of my go-tos when I know I’ll be entertaining, because they’re perfect for any occasion! They’re bite sized, look impressive and taste delicious. These Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are no different! Whether you’re making these for a party, brunch, baby shower or just for a nice dinner at home, you won’t believe how delicious they are!
How to clean mushrooms
You want your mushrooms to be clean before preparing this low carb side dish. This can be done in two different ways. You can either use a damp paper towel to wipe away any dirt that has collected on your mushrooms, use a soak and rinse method which is what I prefer.
- Place the mushrooms in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Using your hands gently rub the mushrooms. You will be shocked at how much dirt and grit easy comes off the mushrooms! Don’t let the mushrooms sit too long to avoid compromising the texture, this whole process should take about 5 minutes.
- Drain off the dirty water and wipe any remaining dirt with a clean, damp paper towel.
Ingredients in Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
As always, here is a quick overview of the ingredients used in our keto stuffed mushrooms. For the complete recipe, just scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Mushrooms- I used portobello
- Italian sausage- cooked and drained
- Cream cheese, Shredded cheese, and Garlic powder
Which type of mushroom should I use for cream cheese stuffed mushrooms?
I chose to use portobello mushrooms for this recipe- they are my personal favorite! But any type of small mushroom will work here.
What type of cheese goes best with keto stuffed mushrooms?
I enjoy mozzarella, gruyere, cheddar havarti or swiss with these mushrooms, but you can use whatever cheese you prefer. Alternatively, a blend of any of these varieties will produce great results too!
How to make Stuffed Mushrooms with Sausage
- First, combine the cooked and drained sausage with the cream cheese, shredded cheese and garlic powder.
- Wash your mushrooms and remove the stems (I use a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon to hollow out the mushroom a little more, but it isn’t necessary).
- Add your sausage mixture to your mushrooms.
These mushrooms can be prepared in either the oven or the grill. If you’re grilling them, heat your grill to medium high heat (around 375 F). Use a grill pan or grate, add your mushrooms to the hot grill. Close and cook for ten minutes. After ten minutes, check and see if they are done enough to your liking. If not, cook in two minute increments or until they are tender enough for you and the cheese is melted.
Oven Cooked Mushrooms
If you are preparing in the oven, preheat to 350 degrees F. Place your assembled mushrooms in a baking pan and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender and the cheese is melted.
Can I make these Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can prepare and cook 24 hours in advance. Simply cover the mushrooms, place in the fridge and reheat the next day. You can also assemble the mushrooms 6-12 hours before you plan to serve, but bake them right beforehand.
Stuffed Mushroom Appetizer
This keto appetizer features healthy portobello mushrooms, which are stuffed with a mixture of savory Italian sausage, velvety cream cheese, sharp garlic and your favorite variety of cheese! There’s only five ingredients in this recipe, but there is SO much flavor. This easy side dish is fantastic because it’s ready in under 15 minutes, which is a huge plus when you’re cooking for a crowd or on a weeknight!
Another reason I love this recipe is because it’s super easy to prepare ahead of time and then either pop onto the grill or into the oven. So if you’re expecting company the next day but you only have time to cook today, no problem! These stuffed mushrooms can easily be meal prepped in advance. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
More keto stuffed mushroom recipes
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Keto Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
- Crab and Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms
More easy keto appetizers
- Air Fryer Pizza Zucchini Bites
- Cream Cheese Sausage Balls
- Spinach and Cheese Bites
- Simple Arugula Salad with Parmesan
- 1/2 pound cooked Italian sausage, drained
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (any variety, see notes below)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 16 ounces of small portobello mushrooms
- Combine the cooked, drained sausage with the cream cheese, shredded cheese and garlic powder, set aside.
- Wash mushrooms and remove the stems. I like to use a metal 1/2 teaspoon to hollow out a little more of the inside of the mushroom but that is optional.
- Stuff the mushroom with the sausage cream cheese mixture.
- Heat a grill to medium high heat (375 degrees F) using a grill pan or grate add the mushrooms to the hot grill, close and cook for 10 minutes.
- After ten minutes check the mushrooms and cook in additional 2 minute increments until they are tender and the cheese has melted.
Oven Instructions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Assemble the mushrooms as directed, place in a baking pan and bake 18-20 minutes until mushrooms are tender and cheese has melted.
Mushrooms pair well with mozzarella, cheddar, gruyere, swiss and havarti use your favorite or a mixture.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe (about 4-5 stuffed mushrooms depending on the size)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 251Total Fat: 21.5gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 405mgCarbohydrates: 4.4gNet Carbohydrates: 3.4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2.6gProtein: 10.9g