This Mexican Breakfast Hash is loaded with seasoned, crisp potatoes, peppers, onions, bacon and eggs! This is the perfect one pan breakfast recipe!
This easy one-pan breakfast hash is Mr. Maebells favorite breakfast. Though he isn’t one to ever turn down biscuits, gravy, or a good, hearty casserole, he loves crispy breakfast potatoes! This Mexican Breakfast Hash features perfectly seasoned potatoes, peppers, onions, crispy bacon, and eggs. It is absolutely the best way to start the day!
This dish also happens to be naturally gluten-free and is easy to customize based on your personal preference. You can easily swap the potatoes for sweet potatoes, or bacon for ham if you prefer. The possibilities are endless!
Ingredients for Mexican Breakfast Hash
To make this easy one-pan fiesta breakfast hash you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Diced potatoes
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Peppers, sweet or spicy whatever you like better
How to Make Breakfast Hash
This Mexican Breakfast Hash requires just a few easy steps:
- Slice the bacon into small pieces and cook over medium heat until they are crispy.
- Toss the diced potatoes in olive oil and spices until they are evenly coated.
- Add the potatoes to the skillet in an even layer and fry them without stirring. After 5 minutes, occasionally stir the potatoes and cook for about 10 more minutes until they are fork-tender.
- Add the chopped peppers and onions to the pan and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Make four wells in the hash and carefully crack an egg in each one. Continue to cook until the eggs have set to your liking.
Substitutions for Breakfast Hash
This recipe is completely customizable to your taste or whatever you have on hand! Here are a few of our favorite variations:
- Potatoes: swap for sweet potatoes, butternut squash, or your favorite yam
- Bacon: you can use any meat you prefer. Ham, sausage, or ground turkey will all work.
- Spices: swap the spice mixture for your favorite blend
- Peppers: use sweet peppers, jalapenos or if you want to omit them you can swap for mushrooms.
- Optional: garnish with salsa, sour cream, avocado, and green onions.
Tips for the Best Breakfast Potatoes
- Cut Uniformly: To ensure the potatoes cook evenly make sure they are cut as uniformly as possible. If some are very small, and some are large they will not cook through at the same time.
- Toss to Coat: You can toss the potatoes with the spices in a bowl, or as soon as you add them to the skillet, either work. Just make sure you coat the potatoes well so they are all perfectly seasoned.
- Large Skillet: Use a large skillet so you have plenty of room to cook the vegetables.
More Easy and Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- Baked Eggs with Cheese Grits
- Sausage and Spinach Quiche
- Crispy Homemade Hash Browns
- Spinach and Bacon Egg Muffins
- Gluten-Free Strawberry Vanilla Buttermilk Waffles
- Keto Sausage and Biscuits
Mexican Breakfast Hash
- 4 slices of bacon
- 4 cups of diced potatoes scrubbed clean (about 4 medium size potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup red or white onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped peppers I used sweet peppers and seeded jalapeños, but bell pepper works too
- 4 eggs
- Carefully slice the bacon into small pieces. Heat your skillet to medium heat and cook bacon until crisp, approximately 4 minutes, stirring often. When bacon is crisp remove from skillet and place on a paper towel.
- Drain off the bacon grease, reserving about 1 tablespoon of the grease in the skillet.
- Toss the potatoes in a large plastic bag or bowl and toss with one tablespoon of olive oil, coat well. Toss the potatoes in the spices until evenly coated.
- Add the potatoes to the skillet in an even layer. Fry the potatoes at least 5 minutes, without stirring. Stir occasionally and cook about 10 minutes until they are fork tender.
- Add the pepeprs and onions and the last tablespoon of olive oil if needed, cook, stirring occasionally until tender. This should take 5-7 minutes.
- Make four wells in the hash and carefully crack an egg in each one. Cook until the eggs have set to your liking.