This Keto Cabbage Casserole is a low-carb, easy dinner recipe ready in 30 minutes! The perfect easy keto dinner that has about 7 net carbs per serving!
This is one of my favorite easy low-carb dinner options. From start to finish it will be on the table in 30 minutes and only required one pan — talk about easy! I think cabbage is an underused ingredient. I have always loved cabbage rolls or my all-time favorite cabbage soup because they are hardy, inexpensive meals that go a long way.
Ingredients in Cabbage Casserole
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need to make this recipe. For the complete, printable recipe just keep scrolling. To make this cabbage and hamburger casserole recipe, you’ll need:
- Ground beef: you can also use ground pork, chicken, turkey, or your favorite ground sausage.
- Vegetables: you will need freshly chopped onion and cabbage for this recipe.
- Canned Goods: Canned tomatoes with green chiles, also known as Rotel in the U.S., as well as tomato sauce.
- Spices: Garlic powder, Chili powder, salt, and pepper
- Shredded cheese: you can use your favorite variety but sharp cheddar, Colby-Jack, or even Pepper-Jack if you enjoy a little extra spice.
How to Make Cabbage Casserole
This One Pan Cabbage Casserole is a low-carb version of the classic. Browned meat, chopped cabbage, tomatoes, and spices come together to create a healthy, easy comfort food! Here is how we make it:
Brown the Ground Beef
In a large skillet brown the ground beef, breaking it up as you go. Drain off any grease and return the cooked meat back to the skillet. Add chopped onion and sauté until softened.
Add the Cabbage and Tomatoes
Add half a head of cabbage chopped into medium size chunks. Add one can of tomatoes with green chilis, do not drain! Next, add a small can of tomato sauce, and spices, and stir well.
Cover and Cook
After you have stirred the dish well cover it and reduce the heat to low. Allow the casserole to cook 10-15 minutes until the cabbage is tender.
After 15 minutes, stir everything well and check the cabbage to see if it is tender enough for your liking. If it isn’t cooked, cover and check at 3-minute increments until it is. Cover with cheese and place the lid back on for just a minute or two until melted. That’s it! An easy and filling low-carb dinner ready in no time at all!
Can I Prep Hamburger Cabbage Casserole in Advance?
This keto casserole is best enjoyed right away. However, since cabbage is a hearty vegetable you’d likely be fine to prep this recipe in advance and reheat it later. If prepping in advance, I recommend waiting to sprinkle the cheese on top until you plan on serving it.
Can I Add Other Veggies to This Dish?
You’re welcome to add veggies like bell peppers, jalapeños, etc. to this cabbage and hamburger. Just keep in mind that adding veggies would affect the number of net carbs per serving.
Tips for Making Hamburger Cabbage Casserole
- You can use ground beef or ground turkey in this low-carb casserole recipe.
- Make sure you don’t chop the cabbage too small since it shrinks so much while it is cooking.
- Do NOT drain the canned tomatoes and green chiles. The liquid the tomatoes are in is packed with flavor!
More Low Carb Casseroles:
- Keto Taco Zoodle Casserole
- Low-Carb Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Casserole
- Keto Tuna Zoodle Casserole
- Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey, browned and drained
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 head of cabbage chopped into medium chunks (roughly 3 cups)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies (undrained)
- 1( 8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or colby jack is our favorite)
- In a medium size skillet brown your beef or turkey over medium heat, drain off any grease.
- Add the diced onion and sauté 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, tomatoes with green chilies, tomato sauce, spices and stir well.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium cooking for 15-18 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Top with cheese!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 heaping cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 14.4gCholesterol: 60.7mgSodium: 323mgCarbohydrates: 9gNet Carbohydrates: 7.4gFiber: 1.6gSugar: 3.7gProtein: 18.9g