This One Pan Cabbage Casserole is a low carb, easy dinner ready in 30 minutes!
This is one of my favorite easy low carb dinner options. From start to finish it will be in on the table in 30 minutes and only required one pan, talk about easy! I think cabbage is an underused ingredient. I have always loved cabbage rolls or my all time favorite cabbage soup because they are hardy, inexpensive meals that go a long way. This One Pan Cabbage Casserole is a low carb version of the classic. Browned meat, chopped cabbage, tomatoes and spices come together to create a healthy, easy comfort food!
Here is how we make it! Brown your meat, you can use ground beef or ground turkey and drain off any fat. Add a chopped onion and sauté until softened.
Add in half a head of cabbage chopped into medium size chunks. Just make sure you don’t chop it too small since it shrinks so much while it is cooking. Add one can of Ro-tel, undrained, a small can of tomato sauce spices and stir well. The pan will be quite full but remember the cabbage shrinks a ton! Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes stir everything well and check the cabbage to see if it is tender enough for your liking, if it isn’t cook covered and check at 3 minute increments until it is. Cover with cheese and place the lid back on for just a minute or two until melted. That’s it! An easy and filling low carb dinner ready in no time at all!
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey, browned and drained
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 head of cabbage chopped into medium chunks (roughly 3 cups)
- 1 can Ro-tel (undrained)
- 1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or colby jack is our favorite)
- In a medium size skillet brown your beef or turkey over medium heat, drain off any grease.
- Add the diced onion and sauté 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, Ro-te, tomato sauce, spices and stir well.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium cooking for 15-18 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Top with cheese!