This Tomato Sandwich is the perfect healthy and easy dinner! Fresh tomato, flavorful basil and creamy mozzarella are grilled to perfection!
This Tomato Sandwich is the perfect meal for a busy day! This vegetarian sandwich comes together in just 15 minutes. With a few simple ingredients, you can have a tasty lunch or dinner on the table in minutes. This tomato mozzarella panini is actually inspired by a Panera recipe! If you wanted to cut the carbs in this recipe, you can use Chaffles instead of bread.
I love this mozzarella sandwich because it is a vegetarian meal, which is a nice change of pace. This panini recipe also is a good source of protein from the mozzarella and provides you with a dose of vegetables! This healthy lunch recipe is also perfect for meal prep- make your coworkers jealous with your filling and delicious lunch this week!
Ingredients in Vegetarian Sandwich recipe
This tomato panini recipe comes together with ingredients you probably already have on hand! For the complete recipe, just scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Bread- I recommend thicker slices of bread for this recipe
- Pesto- I used Red Pepper, but any flavor you prefer will work
- Mozzarella- fresh
- Tomato- I used sliced grape tomatoes, but any kind you have will be fine
- Basil- fresh
- Salt and pepper
- Butter and garlic salt- optional
How do I make Tomato Mozzarella panini?
This meal is so easy! First, just heat up your panini press. If you don’t have a panini press, then a skillet or griddle will work fine. Spread your pesto on one slice of bread, and top with your tomato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add your fresh mozzarella and basil and top with your second slice of bread. Either spray your panini press with non-stick spray or spread butter on the outside of your bread- I added a little garlic salt to mine! Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side and serve!
What should I serve with Tomato Sandwich?
I think this mozzarella sandwich would pair perfectly with soup. I recommend Easy Keto Chicken Soup, Low Carb Vegetable Beef Soup or Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup with Chicken. And of course with soup, you need a salad! My favorites are this White Bean Salad with Bacon, Kale Harvest Salad or this Cucumber Avocado Tomato Salad. If you’re looking for this healthy sandwich recipe to be a compliment to a larger meal, try this Perfect Roast Chicken or Smoked Pork Tenderloin.
How to store this mozzarella sandwich
To store this sandwich, simply put in a plastic or glass container with an airtight lid and store in the fridge. This sandwich will stay fresh for up to four days.
More Healthy Recipes
- Cajun Chicken Sausage and Cabbage Skillet
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Loaded Balsamic Kale Salad
- Healthy Turkey Wrap
- 2 thick slices of bread
- 1 tablespoon of pesto (I used Roasted Red Pepper, but Basil pesto works too)
- 2 slices fresh mozzarella
- 2-3 slices of tomato (or cherry tomatoes, halved)
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butter and garlic salt (optional)
- Heat a panini press according to manufactures directions or heat a skillet or griddle to medium heat.
- Assemble sandwich by spreading one tablespoon of pesto on one slice of bread, top with tomato, salt and pepper, mozzarella, basil, and top with second slice of bread.
- Either spray your skillet or lightly butter the outside of your sandwich and sprinkle with a pinch of garlic salt.
- Grill your sandwich for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve warm
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 731Total Fat: 29gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 1343mgCarbohydrates: 76gNet Carbohydrates: 71.4gFiber: 4.6gSugar: 6gProtein: 36.6g