This Keto Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup is a quick family favorite that can be made on the stovetop, in a slow cooker, or in an Instant Pot! Loaded with cheese, veggies, and tender chicken, each bowl is about 6 net carbs!
I’ve been trying to come up with a new recipe, but Mr. Maebell just kept talking about his favorites. He LOVES this Keto Taco Soup, but I wanted something new, preferably something in the Instant Pot. So since he seemed pretty set in his craving, I decided to tweak the recipe and give it a go!
What I ended up with was delicious–It is packed with tender chicken, vegetables, taco seasoning, and tons of cheese. It’s ready in about 30 minutes OR it can cook all day in the slow cooker! Seriously, this soup checks off every box!
This dish is easy to meal prep and pack for lunch, making it a great double-duty recipe. Both dinner and tomorrow’s lunch are taken care of in one cook! It’s even freezable for long-term meal planning if you leave out the cheese and add it when serving.
If you want to put it over the top, add your favorite taco toppings! Avocado, sour cream, green onions, shredded cheese, low-carb tortilla strips… Load up that bowl and enjoy this hearty, keto-friendly soup!
Ingredients for Chicken Enchilada Soup
As always, this is a quick overview of what you’ll need for this recipe. For exact measurements and instructions, keep scrolling to the recipe card down below!
- Chicken: Boneless, skinless chicken breast are needed for this recipe.
- Vegetables: Green bell pepper, and Jalapeño: seeded and diced
- Canned goods: Canned tomatoes with green chiles, Chicken broth, Tomato paste, Canned green chiles
- Taco seasoning
- Cream cheese
- Heavy cream
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Soup
This recipe is really simple! First you’ll want to sauté the peppers in butter or olive oil, then add the chicken, tomatoes, chiles, broth, tomato paste, and taco seasoning.
Next, place the lid on the Instant Pot, seal the pressure valve, and set the pressure cooker to 20 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 5-10 minutes, then manually release the rest.
Finally, remove the chicken and shred it. Add the heavy cream, and cream cheese then stir. Add back in the chicken, stir, and serve!
Can I make this in a slow cooker?
Definitely! Add the chicken, peppers, tomatoes, chilis, broth, tomato paste, and taco seasoning. Allow these to cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred. Stir in cream, and cream cheese. Add in the chicken, and serve.
Can I make this on the stovetop?
Yes! Place your chicken, peppers, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, chilis, and taco seasoning into a pot or Dutch oven and stir to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium low heat (uncovered) and allow to cook about 20 minutes. When soup has reduced and thickened, check the chicken with a meat thermometer. If it is cooked through, remove from pot and shred.
Add the cream, and cream cheese. Add the chicken back in and serve!
Tips for the BEST Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Let your cream cheese sit out and come to room temperature. This will help it smoothly melt into the soup without curdling.
- Reheat leftovers on the stovetop or in the microwave. Store in fridge up to 4 days. Freeze (before stirring in cream or cream cheese) up to 4 months.
- If you miss having bread with soup, you could add these Keto Three Cheese Biscuits! Each one is only 2 net carbs, and that cheesy, herby taste would pair wonderfully with this soup!
- Change up your toppings! You can add more acidity with a couple diced cherry tomatoes or a squeeze of lime juice. Add more creaminess with sour cream or diced avocado. You could even make low-carb tortilla strips by toasting a sliced low-carb tortilla!
Can I meal prep keto chicken soup?
You sure can! This recipe makes 8 servings, so it’s a great option for making a week’s worth of lunches at once. The flavors get even better as they sit, so it’s the ideal leftover lunch!
You can freeze this soup IF you leave out the cream, and cream cheese. I like to write a list of ingredients that need to be added after thawing directly onto the freezer bag so I don’t have to go searching for the recipe all over again. If you freeze this in individual portions, you’d want to add 1 ounce of cream cheese and about a tablespoon of cream to your bowl after reheating.
Other Keto Soups
- Instant Pot Keto Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup
- Instant Pot Pizza Soup
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (32 ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 (7 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 ( 4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 8 ounces room temp cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup cream
- In the Instant Pot, sauté peppers in a small amount of butter or olive oil. Once softened, add chicken, tomatoes, chilis, broth, tomato paste, and taco seasoning.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, seal the pressure valve, and set the pressure cooker to 20 minutes.
- Allow pressure to naturally release for 5-10 minutes, then manually release the rest.
- Remove chicken and shred. Stir in cream and cream cheese, then add chicken back to soup and serve.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add chicken, peppers, tomatoes, chilis, broth, tomato paste, and taco seasoning to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred. Stir in cream and cream cheese.
- Add chicken back to soup and serve.
- Place chicken, peppers, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, chilis, and taco seasoning to a large pot or Dutch oven. Stir, then bring to a simmer over medium low heat (uncovered). Allow soup to simmer 20 minutes.
- When soup has reduced and thickened, check the chicken with a meat thermometer. If it is cooked through, remove from pot and shred.
- Sit in cream and cream cheese, add chicken back to pot, and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: About 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Total Fat: 14.9gCholesterol: 117.4mgSodium: 1066.8mgCarbohydrates: 8.4gNet Carbohydrates: 6.3gFiber: 2.1gSugar: 4.2gProtein: 29.7g