This super easy Homemade Keto Taco Seasoning will have you wondering why you ever bought the packaged stuff! It has only 1 net carb per serving, is easy to whip up in minutes, and can be adjusted for preferences and dietary needs.
This homemade keto taco seasoning is super handy if you are trying to save money or are looking to limit the amount of carbs, preservatives, sodium, and mystery ingredients in your food. Just mix up your own spices, then toss it in the skillet with cooked ground beef and a can of tomato with green chilies! You’re just 5 minutes away from easy, zesty, homemade taco meat!
Is taco seasoning keto?
While some store-bought taco seasonings are keto-friendly, MANY of them are not! They include starches, sugars, and preservatives that many people following the keto lifestyle would like to avoid. Luckily, it’s incredibly easy to make your own keto taco seasoning! You can make a small batch just when you need it or make large batches to have on hand for any recipe you’d like.
What Is in Keto Taco Seasoning?
This is a naturally gluten-free taco seasoning recipe. To make it, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Chili flakes (optional)
How to Make Keto Taco Seasoning
Simply combine all ingredients, then add to browned ground beef with 1/4 to 1/2 cup water. Cook ground beef until all moisture has absorbed. Feel free to alter the measurements based on your preferences. If you’re limiting your sodium intake, you can reduce the salt a bit. If you like things spicy, add some chili flakes and/or increase your chili powder!
How Long Does Homemade Taco Seasoning Last?
This easy homemade taco seasoning is good for up to 1 year! Store it in an airtight container in a cool space (like the pantry). You could even package this recipe and share as inexpensive party favors or thoughtful gifts! These cute jars are small and perfect for holding enough seasoning for 1 pound of meat. If you want to gift enough seasoning for 3 pounds of meat, these medium-sized jars would be great. For longer-term storage, these large jars would fit enough seasoning for 6 pounds of meat!
How much homemade taco seasoning to use?
Two tablespoons of taco seasoning is enough for 1 pound of ground meat. Whether you prefer to use beef, turkey, or chicken, this ratio should be the same. You can adjust according to your preferences, of course!
Tips for Making Keto Taco Seasoning
- For spicier taco seasoning, add extra chili flakes and/or cayenne pepper.
- This seasoning can be used to season taco meat, but also in burritos, nachos, soups, and more!
- Note that this recipe calls for smoked paprika. This is NOT the same as regular paprika, and I promise it’s worth the money! If you only have regular paprika, it will work in a pinch.
- When multiplying this recipe, make sure to mix thoroughly with a whisk to avoid clumps.
- If you prefer your taco seasoning with a bit of sweetness, add just a pinch of monkfruit or Swerve seasoning. I prefer mine without, but that would be a keto-friendly way to add a touch if that’s what you like!
More Keto Taco Recipes
Looking for more? Check out this list of 40+ Keto Mexican Food Recipes!
Sauces, Dips, and Salsas you might like:
- Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Roasted Tomatillo & Jalapeno Salsa
- Copycat Chuy’s Jalapeno Ranch
- Avocado Bacon Dip
Homemade Keto Taco Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes optional
- Combine all ingredients and add to browned ground beef with 1/4-1/2 cup of water.
- Cook ground beef until all moisture has absorbed.