Need an easy low carb, one-pan dinner? I’ve got you covered! This Keto Sausage and Cabbage Skillet is ready in under 20 minutes and has less than 6 carbs per serving!
One of my favorite things is putting out recipes and seeing what people respond to. It is so interesting because sometimes I publish a recipe that my family is obsessed with but it doesn’t seem to get much traction. And then there are other times I post something I don’t think will be popular but it goes wild.
It is just interesting to see what trends, sometimes there are big surprises, like this Keto One Pan Cheesy Cabbage Casserole. You guys LOVE this one!
So I decided to share one of my go-to “I’m too tired to cook tonight” low-carb meals. This Keto Sausage and Cabbage Skillet is everything you want in a keto meal, high in fat and super low in carbs. It is also done in under 20 minutes and requires just one pan. It just doesn’t get any better than that, does it?
Ingredients Needed for Cabbage and Sausage Skillet
Dinner doesn’t get much better than this smoked sausage and cabbage recipe! I might go so far as to say this is one of my keto cabbage recipes. A bold claim, I know! Here’s what you’ll need to make this cabbage and sausage skillet:
- Smoked sausage: any variety will do, you can use Andouille sausage, Kielbasa, or a lower calorie version such as a turkey or chicken sausage.
- Butter: Salted butter, of course!
- Vegetables: Garlic and Cabbage, I use green cabbage but this also works with purple cabbage.
- Spices: onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper
How to Make Cabbage and Sausage
This really is the easiest cabbage dinner and it has so few ingredients! In addition to the ingredient list above you will just need a large skillet, knife, and cutting board. Below you will find a step-by-step guide that walks you through the process.
Brown the Sausage
Start by slicing the sausage. You can cut on the diagonal as I did, or slice in half or quarters, just follow your personal preference. Next, heat a large skillet to medium heat and lightly spray with cooking oil. Brown the sausage on each side and remove from the skillet when nice and crisp. Remember, you may want to do this in batches depending on how big your skillet is so each slice is cooked well.
Saute the Cabbage
Without rinsing or washing your pan add one tablespoon of butter, two cloves of garlic, and 4 cups of chopped cabbage. Give the cabbage a good stir and sprinkle with salt, pepper, onion powder, and paprika. Fry the cabbage, stirring occasionally over medium heat until it reaches your desired tenderness.
Add Sausage to the Skillet
The final step is to add the cooked smoked sausage back into the skillet and stir well. When the entire dish has warmed through it is ready to serve!
I serve this meal immediately with extra salt and pepper, a little hot sauce, and green onions! Since this meal has protein and vegetables I serve this as a complete meal. Just in case you want to stretch this meal with a side dish I suggest a classic Wedge Salad!
Tips for Making Cabbage with Sausage
- The exact amount of time needed to sauté the cabbage will depend on how crisp you like it. If you like your cabbage to have a crunch, this will take 5-6 minutes. But if you want your cabbage to be very tender the cooking time will be closer to 10.
- Most fried cabbage recipes call for chopped onion, but mine doesn’t. However, you can add 1/2 cup of chopped onion when you add the garlic if you wish — but it does increase the carbs to just over 7 net carbs per serving.
- This recipe is best fresh, but leftovers reheat well since cabbage is fairly hearty.
You can make this cabbage meal with any sausage you like! Kielbasa and cabbage, andouille and cabbage, or another favorite will all work. To make this dish lower calorie you can use a chicken or turkey sausage as well.
No, as written this dish is not spicy. However, there are some brands of sausage that do come in a spicy variety if you wish to add a bit of oomph to the dish!
Yes, this recipe is naturally grain and gluten free. Just be sure to check the brand of sausage you choose.
More Keto Dinner Recipes:
- One Pan Cabbage Casserole
- Sausage and Cabbage Foil Packs
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup
- Easy Keto Chili
- Keto Taco Zoodle Casserole
Sausage and Cabbage Skillet
Need an easy low carb, one pan dinner? I've got you covered! This Keto Sausage and Cabbage Skillet is ready in under 20 minutes and has less than 6 carbs per serving!
- 1 (12 ounce) package of smoked sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 cups cabbage, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray or add 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Brown the sliced smoked sausage until lightly crisp.
- Remove sausage from skillet and set aside.
- Add butter, garlic, chopped cabbage, and spices and stir well.
- Fry cabbage to your desired tenderness. If you would like more crunch this will take 3-4 minutes. If you like your cabbage very tender it will cook closer to 10 minutes.
- When the cabbage reaches your desired texture, add the cooked sausage and stir until heated through.
- Most fried cabbage recipes call for chopped onion. If desired, you can add 1/2 cup of chopped onion when you add the garlic if you wish but it does increase the carbs to just over 7 net carbs per serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 of the pan (roughly 1 1/4 cup)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 27.4gCholesterol: 56.9mgSodium: 793mgCarbohydrates: 7.2gNet Carbohydrates: 5.7gFiber: 1.5gSugar: 2.7gProtein: 11.2g
Leave a Reply