These Mediterranean Hummus Tostadas are an effortless idea for entertaining! Crispy tostadas are topped with creamy hummus, tender chickpeas, and fresh veggies!
I’ve been holding out on you. I have news! We moved! For about 8 months we have been searching for a small farm but most of the time this search seemed impossible. We were looking for a couple of acres of land so our dogs could have some space to roam, and something more private than our home tucked neatly in a subdivision. Just when we had given up all hope a little gem was listed for sale and it was perfect. The home had acreage, a barn, and a huge garden. Within 48 hours of listing the home we had a contract on the house and the ball was rolling!
We moved in last week and it has been a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. We have more space, we can enjoy sitting on our patio without crazy neighbors or a busy road right next to us. Actually, the only neighbors we have are the goats on one side and the donkeys across the road! ha! It has been blissful!
Since we have been so busy I haven’t done much cooking. This dish is actually coming to you by accident because I created it using the odds and ends we had on hand plus a few veggies from the new garden. I will preface this by saying this isn’t actually a recipe, more of an idea. Since this is the kind of dish you can alter based on what your preferences are or what you have on hand I am not listing measurements below, instead I’ll walk you through it!
Ingredients in Mediterranean Hummus Tostadas
- Tostadas – you can purchase these already made or make your own by frying corn tortillas in a little oil over medium heat until crispy
- Hummus – any flavor
- Chickpeas – drained and rinsed
- Green Onions
You can swap any of these ingredients to your liking or whatever you have on hand.
How do you make Mediterranean Tostadas?
We start with a tostada. Spread a nice layer of your favorite hummus on the tostada. I use the supremely spicy by Sabra but you use whatever you like or make your own! Then top each tostada with drained and rinsed chickpeas.
Then it is time for the veggies! Feel free to use what you have on hand. I used a bit of kale, chopped cucumber, tomatoes, green onions, and of course a good dose of tangy feta cheese!
This is a great idea for a healthy dinner or even a fun Summer entertaining option because you can lay out a selection of hummus and veggies and your guests can build their very own Mediterranean Hummus Tostadas!
How to Make Tostada Shells
For a 100% from scratch tostada recipe, you’ll have to make homemade tostada shells. Don’t fret, it’s easy!
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with just enough oil to lightly cover the bottom of the pan.
- Heat 2 or 3 corn tortillas for approximately 3 minutes on each side until golden and crisp.
- Lightly salt them if you wish.
More Easy Meatless Meals
- Grilled Zucchini Hummus Wraps are filled with fresh veggies are grilled to perfection! They the perfect easy, healthy wrap recipe!
- Vegetarian Chili Pie with Cornbread Topping is so hearty you would never guess it is meatless! Perfect for #MeatlessMondayNights!
- Zesty Black Bean Slider sare the packed with flavor for the perfect quick and easy summer meal!
- Spicy Dijon Chickpea Salad – Chickpeas are paired with crunchy celery, fresh bell pepper, chopped green onions in a spicy Dijon mustard sauce!
- Because this is so easy to customize I'm not providing measurements, simply add your ingredients to the crispy tostada.
- Tostadas (see notes: purchased or corn tortillas fried in a little oil over medium heat until crispy)
- Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Green Onions
- Follow the guide above. Spread hummus on each tostada and top with remaining ingredients.
- Use different hummus flavors and different veggies to creat your own unique dish!
How to Make Tostadas
Oven Instructions: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly brush both sides of the corn tortillas with canola oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Bake 5 minutes, flip and bake another 4-5 minutes until it reaches your desired crispness.
Pan Fried Instructions: Heat a skillet to medium heat with just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Using tongs add the tortillas to the skillet and cook 2-3 minutes per side until it reaches your desired crispness. Drain the tortillas on a wire rack and sprinkle with salt.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 tortilla (nutrition calculated with 1 tablespoon each topping)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 4.3gCholesterol: 8.3mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 16.7gFiber: 2.9gSugar: 1gProtein: 4.3g