This is the Best Turkey Chili recipe! Browned turkey, two kinds of beans, tomatoes and spices make this an easy dinner you will love! Slow cooker option also!
We have a few recipes that make frequent appearances on our dinner rotation. Some of my favorites include Cheesy Chicken and Rice, Lo Mien, and Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers. One that gets a lot of play in the fall and winter months is this super easy chili. This takes just a handful of ingredients you probably already have on hand and the spices can be easily adjusted based on your personal preferences.
Typically chili recipes include a ground beef and kidney bean base. This one is unique because I like to use ground turkey and a combination of dark red kidney beans as well as great northern beans. The different flavors and textures of the two types of beans makes this chili extra tasty!
You can also easily adjust this for a slow cooker recipe, just brown and drain your meat and transfer it along with the remaining ingredients to a slow cooker and heat up to 8 hours on low or 2-3 on high. We top our chili with Fritos (of course!) sharp cheddar cheese and fresh green onions!
- 1 pound ground turkey, browned and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies, NOT drained
- 1 (46 ounce) container tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder*
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste**
- *If you enjoy spicy chili I would increase this to 3 tablespoons of chili powder.
- **remember if serving with Fritos or crackers the dish will get a good dose of salt from your toppings
- Brown 1 pound of ground turkey over medium heat in a medium size sauce pot or dutch oven.
- Drain off any grease
- Add drained and rinsed beans, undrained ro-tel, tomato juice and spices.
- Stir well.
- Allow chili to simmer over medium low heat uncovered for approximately 30 minutes until the tomato juice has reduced and thickened.
- Serve with Fritos, shredded cheddar and green onions!