My general rule of thumb for recipes that I share with you is pretty simple.
If the recipe is delicious, simple to make, easy to understand, and uses regular ingredients most people already purchase then it goes on the blog.
If it is super complicated and requires a ton of ingredients it is a no go.
Personally, I like both types of recipes. I like quick and easy, but I also like multi step-stand-in-the-kitchen-for-three-hours recipes. I like the challenge.
But from the get go I decided Maebells was going to be a resource for regular people. I want all of the recipes to be easy enough someone learning to cook can follow along, but also something a home cook extraordinaire can appreciate. This Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Rice is just that. Simple, classic flavors that come together for the perfect comfort food.
This dish starts with sautéing onion and minced garlic to add extra flavor to your dish. Then I pour in a good quality chicken broth and bring to a boil. Next, pour in a cup of jasmine rice and let it simmer. By cooking your rice in chicken broth it adds a ton of extra flavor making this dish super rich. After about 10 minutes, the rice is nearly done. I add a little more liquid, give it a stir, and add in the broccoli and spices, cover and let it cook an additional five minutes. All that is left is a hearty dose of cheddar cheese!
I could eat this all by itself as a meal, but it would make a great addition to some grilled chicken or a salmon dish. Or for an extra quick dinner grab a rotisserie chicken and whip this rice dish up in under 20 minutes for a complete, well balanced meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil in a medium size sauce pan over medium heat, add chopped onion and minced garlic and saute 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the same sauce pan add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the jasmine rice, cover and reduce temp to low, stirring occasionally. After the rice has simmered on low for 12 minutes remove cover and stir well. Add in two tablespoons butter, ⅓ cup water, salt and pepper, cover and let simmer for 3 more minutes.
- After three minutes stir in broccoli. Continue to let the rice cook on low for 4-5 minutes or until your broccoli is the desired tenderness.
- Stir in cheese and serve.