This Avocado Quesadilla is a simple six ingredient meal! A healthy, hearty dinner perfect for busy nights!
Fun fact for the day: From the ages of 10-19 I was a vegetarian. Yep, I was a spinach eating, fake bacon loving little weirdo when I was growing up. I didn’t not eat meat because I didn’t like it- I actually loved meat.
There wasn’t a profound humanitarian reason I chose to stop eating meat. I stopped eating meat pretty much for the simple fact someone told me I wouldn’t. Stubborn much?
So, one day my father brought home brand new pets. Sweet little lambs. We all named our new found friends, ready to begin this great adventure.
After all, who wouldn’t be excited we already had dogs that we loved and everybody knows that dogs and sheep are basically the same, right. 😉 Wrong. That spring to the next fall would prove to be the longest of my whole life.
Our evenings were spent
walking dragging the lambs around the barn lot on leashes. Or being drug behind our little friends. There were many a tear shed in that barn lot.
Ingredients for Avocado Quesadilla
- Large tortilla- I used Udi’s Gluten Free, but any you have on hand is fine.
- Baby spinach
- Avocado- be sure your avocado is fresh.
- Spicy pepper jack cheese- if you don’t want extra spice, just use regular cheddar or a Mexican blend.
- Sour cream- I used reduced fat.
The end goal was to show your lamb at the county fair. It would be great! You got to miss and entire day of school, and got to walk your little buddy around and show him off.
Before we knew it, summer was coming to a close and fair week was upon us. It was go time. So we packed up our furry friends and headed off to town.
The day went off without a hitch, all four of us showed our lambs, none of us won a darn thing, but we made it though the day. You would think the story has a happy ending right here, but you would be wrong.
Later that day we found out the lambs would be sold…and then we found out what happens to little lambs that get sold. Well, to put it lightly, I didn’t take the news well.
That was all it took for me to completely swear off meat. “I will NEVER eat meat again!” This I remember saying very vividly. I am actually fairly certain there was a foot stomp that went along with that tantrum.
“Oh, yes you will” is what I heard in return. Naturally, the next time I ate meat was nine years later. A fairly acceptable recovery time for an emotionally devastating event, I feel.
As for my little lamb experience, did I learn patience, responsibility, accountability from this? Maybe. Did I learn a hard lesson about the circle of life? Absolutely. But one thing is for sure, I learned how to stick to my guns. That counts for something, right?
How do you make Avocado Quesadilla?
This Avocado Quesadilla was one of my favorite meals back in the throws of my vegetarian days. This quesadilla is packed with fresh avocado, spicy cheese, baby spinach, salsa and sour cream, all inside of a warm tortilla. It doesn’t get any better than that!
First, warm up a 12 inch skillet to medium heat and spray with nonstick spray. Next, lay out your tortilla and add your cheese and avocado to half of the tortilla. Heat until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is browned.
Combine the spinach, sour cream and salsa in a small bowl. Spread your spinach mixture over the cheese and avocado. Fold your tortilla so it overlaps and heat until warmed through.
Top with your topping of choice! There you go! A delicious Spinach Quesdilla to bring everyone together at the dinner table!
Tips for Avocado Quesadilla
- Type of tortilla- I used a gluten free tortilla for this quesadilla, but a flour one would work great too. If you decide to use a corn tortilla, I would recommend splitting this recipe between two tortillas so you don’t end up overfilling them.
- Avocado- make sure your avocado is ripe! There’s nothing worse than a mushy avocado. Once your avocado is a dark brown and yields slightly to pressure, it is ready! Don’t wait too long though, avocados are famous for going bad quickly.
- Type of cheese- I went with a spicy pepper jack cheese in my Avocado Quesadilla, but if you aren’t into spice, go with something with less of a kick. A Mexican blend, shredded mozzarella or cojita cheese would all work well.
- Toppings- I love a crunchy tortilla on it’s own, but toppings are never a bad thing! Feel free to add more sliced avocado, a queso cheese, tomatoes, onions, salsa or sour cream. Make it yours!
If you’re thinking about trying to cut some meat out of your diet, I’m your girl. I’ve got some great recipes that will help you to have at least one meatless night a week! Here are some of my favorites:
Other Easy Recipes:
- 1 large tortilla (I used Udi's Gluten Free)
- 1/2 avocado, sprinkled with sea salt
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/4 cup spicy pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon of sour cream
- 3-4 tablespoons of salsa
- Heat a large 12 inch skillet to medium heat, spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Assemble quesadilla by sprinkling shredded cheese on half of the tortilla shell, topped by the sliced and salted avocado.
- Heat quesadilla in skillet until cheese is melted and tortilla is lightly browned.
- In a small bowl combine spinach, sour cream and salsa, stir lightly to coat.
- When ready to serve spread spinach mixture on tortilla, fold over and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 479Total Fat: 15.2gCholesterol: 54.2mgSodium: 937.5mgCarbohydrates: 33.7gNet Carbohydrates: 26.6gFiber: 7.1gSugar: 1.9gProtein: 17.5g