These Grilled Chicken Fajitas are packed with flavor for an easy, healthy meal! The chicken is flavored with a homemade marinade, then grilled to perfection.
I am, and always have been, really big on seasonal foods. I try to always enjoy the best of what each season has to offer. Summer, fortunately, doesn’t just have great food. It also provides us with — what I affectionately call — grilling season.
You know what I mean. There is just something special about being outside, sun on your face, and the smell of burgers on the grill! It is special enough that it must have its own season. So, I am officially declaring grilling season open! It’s here!
In honor of warmer weather and sunny skies, I decided to make a big pile of piping hot homemade chicken fajitas! These fajitas are a game changer.
They take basic ingredients like chicken, peppers, onion, lime, cilantro, and garlic and turn them into something really special. The key is the fajita marinade! Instead of reaching for a packet of seasoning or the bottled stuff, we make our own.
Chicken Fajitas Ingredients
This recipe is split into two parts: the marinade and the fajitas themselves. To make the BEST chicken fajita marinade, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Red onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
And for the rest of the recipe, you’ll need:
- Chicken breasts
- White onion
- Bell pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Corn tortillas
Can I Make This Recipe Low-Carb?
Yes, you can! Use homemade Zucchini Tortillas instead of corn tortillas for a lower carb fajita.
How to Make Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Grab some limes, garlic, jalapeños, red onion, fresh cilantro and a couple other pantry staples and get to work! Here is how we make these easy chicken fajitas:
- Combine the chicken fajita marinade ingredients in a large plastic bag, and add some sliced chicken breast.
- Toss the mixture around a bit to make sure everything is nice and covered.
- Now comes the hard part. The waiting. Let the chicken marinade at least 8 hours.
- After your chicken has marinated, it’s time to prep your veggies. I sliced an onion, bell pepper and threw in some cherry tomatoes, for good measure.
- Drizzle or spray a little olive oil and salt and pepper over the veggies to give them a little extra flavor.
- Heat your grill to medium heat and add your chicken breast, cook on each side 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and juicy.
- Remove chicken from heat and add the vegetables, grill until lightly charred.
Grab some warm corn tortillas and pile the grilled chicken and veggies as high as you’d like! Garnish with a lime wedge and some cilantro for the perfect healthy dinner.
What to Serve with Chicken Fajitas
These jalapeño lime chicken fajitas are pretty impressive on their own. But if you pair them with one of the following sides, you’ll have a real fiesta on your hands!
Tips for Making the Best Chicken Fajitas
- If you feel like living on the wild side, you can throw the juiced lime peels in with the marinade to give it a little extra zing.
- You can put the chicken in the marinade in the morning before work. If you want to give it lots of extra time to soak up that jalapeño lime goodness, you can do it the night before. Either works fine.
- I always recommend using a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is completely cooked through. Cooking times listed may vary depending on the thickness of your meat.
More Easy Mexican Recipes:
- Taco Lasagna
- Slow Cooker Zesty Chicken Tacos
- Keto Taco Casserole
- Easy Taco Mac
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3 limes, juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced into strips
- 1 large white onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 bell pepper (any color) seeded and sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 6-10 corn tortillas
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
- Remove 3 tablespoons of the marinade and set aside for later.
- Pour the rest of the marinade into a large plastic bag, add the chicken and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Heat your grill to medium heat, approximately 350 degrees F.
- Prep the fajita vegetables by combining the sliced peppers, onions and cherry tomatoes in a bowl. Toss or spray with a small about of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the chicken 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and juicy. Set chicken aside on a serving tray.
- Use a grill pan or make a small tray using aluminum foil and place on the grill. Add your veggies. Grill 4-6 minutes until lightly charred.
- Remove vegetables from the grill and add to serving tray.
- Drizzle the chicken and veggies with the reserved 3 tablespoons of marinade.
- Serve in warm corn tortillas with your favorite Mexican garnishes.
I always recommend using a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is completely cooked through. Cooking times listed may vary depending on the thickness of your meat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 181mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 40g
To avoid any confusion I remove erythritol from the final carb count and net carb count, as it is not known to affect blood glucose levels. To calculate Keto recipes listed on this site carbs - fiber = net carbs. I use Nutrifox as my nutrition calculator. This nutrition information is an estimate based on the information provided by Nutrifox and the specific ingredients I used.