These Chicken Fajitas are packed with flavor for an easy, healthy meal! The chicken is flavored with a homemade marinade, then grilled to perfection.
What are Chicken Fajitas?
Chicken Fajitas are a classic Mexican dish where marinated chicken is seared or grilled to perfection along side tender peppers and onions. The meat and veggies are then stuffed in a warm tortilla, and served alongside sour cream, salsa and guacamole. It is an incredibly impressive chicken dish everyone loves!
This recipe features chicken that is pan seared, or grilled, the choice is yours. The chicken is first marinaded in a delicious jalapeño lime blend that pairs perfectly with this Cilantro Lime Rice.
Chicken Fajitas Ingredients
This recipe is split into two parts: the marinade and the fajitas themselves. To make the BEST chicken fajita marinade, you’ll need:
- Fajita Marinade: Olive oil, Red onion, Fresh cilantro, Jalapeño, Lime juice, Garlic, Monkfruit sweetener, salt and pepper.
- Fajita Fixings: Chicken breasts, White onion, Bell pepper, Tortillas
Can I Make This Recipe Low-Carb?
Yes, you can! Use homemade Zucchini Tortillas instead of corn tortillas for a lower carb fajita. There are also store bought tortillas such as Mission Carb Balance that will also work. The nutritional information under the recipe is calculated using low carb ingredients.
How to Make Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Grab some limes, garlic, jalapeños, red onion, fresh cilantro and a couple other pantry staples and get to work! Here is how we make these easy chicken fajitas:
- Combine the chicken fajita marinade ingredients in a large plastic bag, and add the sliced chicken breast. Toss the mixture around a bit to make sure everything is nice and covered. Let the chicken marinade at least 8 hours for the best flavor.
- Slice the bell peppers and onions, drizzle with a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the grill, grill pan, or large heavy bottom skillet to medium heat and add the chicken breast, cook on each side 2-3 minutes or until it reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from heat and add the vegetables, grill until lightly charred.
Grab some warm tortillas and pile the grilled chicken and veggies as high as you’d like! Garnish with a lime wedge and some cilantro for the perfect healthy dinner.
What to Serve with Chicken Fajitas
These jalapeño lime chicken fajitas are pretty impressive on their own. But if you pair them with one of the following sides, you’ll have a real fiesta on your hands!
Tips for Making the Best Chicken Fajitas
- If you feel like living on the wild side, you can throw the juiced lime peels in with the marinade to give it a little extra zing.
- You can put the chicken in the marinade in the morning before work. If you want to give it lots of extra time to soak up that jalapeño lime goodness, you can do it the night before. Either works fine.
- I always recommend using a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is completely cooked through. Cooking times listed may vary depending on the thickness of your meat.
More Easy Mexican Recipes:
- Taco Lasagna
- Slow Cooker Zesty Chicken Tacos
- Keto Taco Casserole
- Easy Taco Mac
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 3 limes, juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar monkfruit (regular if not keto)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced into strips
- 2 cups, sliced bell pepper (any color)
- 1 cup white onion, sliced
- 6-10 tortillas (corn, flour or low carb)
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Stir until combined. Remove 2 tablespoons of the marinade and set aside for later.
- Pour the rest of the marinade into a large plastic bag, add the chicken and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Heat your grill to medium heat, approximately 350 degrees F.
- Prep the fajita vegetables by combining the sliced peppers, onions in a bowl. Toss or spray with a small about of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the chicken 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and juicy. Set chicken aside on a serving tray.
- Use a grill pan or make a small tray using aluminum foil and place on the grill. Add your veggies. Grill 4-6 minutes until lightly charred.
- Remove vegetables from the grill and add to serving tray. Drizzle the chicken and veggies with the reserved tablespoons of marinade.
- Serve in warm tortillas with your favorite Mexican garnishes.
I always recommend using a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is completely cooked through. Cooking times listed may vary depending on the thickness of your meat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 fajitas (using Mission Carb Balance street taco shells)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 509mgCarbohydrates: 27.3gNet Carbohydrates: 8.7gFiber: 18.6gSugar: 3.6gProtein: 47g
To avoid any confusion I remove erythritol from the final carb count and net carb count, as it is not known to affect blood glucose levels. To calculate Keto recipes listed on this site carbs - fiber = net carbs. I use Nutrifox as my nutrition calculator. This nutrition information is an estimate based on the information provided by Nutrifox and the specific ingredients I used.