This easy Instant Pot Chicken Breast recipe gives you tender, juicy chicken with a beautifully creamy white wine sauce. This low-carb, one-pot meal is perfect for busy weeknights, beginner cooks, and meal-prepping!
Instant Pot Chicken Breast
These easy Instant Pot Chicken Breasts are perfect for a fancy meal with guests or a quick dinner on your own! The creamy, cheesy sauce helps make sure your chicken isn’t dried out, and the quick cooking time in the pressure cooker gives you a healthy dinner in no time. It’s naturally low-carb and gluten-free, so it’s a great dish for company, too.
What you’ll love about this recipe:
- EASY – This is a great recipe for beginner cooks and busy people! All steps are completed in the Instant Pot for simple cleanup, and you can have the recipe prepped, cooked, and eaten in about an hour!
- HEALTHY – This recipe uses healthy, lean chicken breasts to balance out the rich, creamy parmesan sauce. Minimal processed ingredients are used, and the sauce helps dress up simple vegetables like Air Fryer Broccoli or Roasted Cabbage.
- VERSATILE – You could use this method to make a variety of delicious chicken dinners! Add some pesto to the sauce for an herby twist, or green chilis for a bit of spice. Swap out the Italian seasoning for taco seasoning, a BBQ rub, Cajun seasonings, or a good blackening rub. This easy recipe can become a starting point for many exciting meals!
Ingredients for Chicken and White Wine Sauce
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need for this recipe. For exact measurements, keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card.
- Chicken breasts – Try to find 4 chicken breasts relatively the same size (preferably 6-8 ounces each for this timing in this recipe). This will help make sure they’re finished at the same time. You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe if you prefer, but they may finish cooking earlier if they are smaller.
- Italian seasoning, Garlic powder, Onion powder, Kosher salt, Crushed red pepper flakes, Black pepper – This is a great all-purpose blend that complements the chicken, wine, and creamy sauce. You can add more or less pepper flakes depending on your preferred spice level.
- Olive oil, Chicken broth, White wine (dry) – The chicken soaks up the great flavor of this mixture during pressure cooking. If necessary, you could replace the wine with more broth (preferably a good Homemade Chicken Stock for the best flavor).
- Grated parmesan, Heavy cream – These melt into the cooking liquid, thickening it into a deliciously cheesy sauce. It’s very rich and decadent!
How to Cook Chicken Breasts in an Instant Pot
This recipe is SO easy! It just takes a few steps in the Instant Pot. Here’s a quick look at each part of the process of making these delicious Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot.
Season & Sear chicken
In a small bowl, combine the spice mix all together. Sprinkle this on dry, trimmed chicken breast and make sure all sides are covered. Turn on the sauté function to high and add 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil. Once shimmering and hot, add the seasoned chicken to the pot, searing for 2 minutes on each side. Once the chicken is golden brown, remove from pressure cooker and set aside.
Turn off the saute function, then pour in the chicken stock and white wine. Use a wooden spoon or silicone spatula to scrape up any bits that might have stuck to the bottom of the pot. This is essential; any spices or chicken pieces stuck to the bottom can cause a burn message during the cooking cycle.
Add the trivet to the bottom of the pressure cooker over the liquid. Place the chicken breasts on the trivet (side by side, not stacked on top of one another) and secure the lid. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.
When the pressure cooking cycle is over, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Finally, manually release the remaining pressure and carefully open the lid. Remove the chicken and trivet from the Instant Pot.
Turn on the saute function again and bring the broth and white wine mixture to a boil. Allow the mixture to reduce by half (leaving about 1/3-1/2 cup liquid in the pot), then stir in the grated parmesan and heavy cream. Stir this mixture until it’s nice and thick with all the cheese melted. Add the chicken back into the pot and cook for 2 minutes. Once chicken has reached 165 degrees F in the center, it’s ready!
This creamy parmesan chicken is great with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes or a Creamy Cauliflower Risotto if you’re keeping it low-carb. Keto Dinner Rolls and some Cheesy Bacon Wrapped Asparagus would be perfect with this easy chicken recipe, too! More great side dishes:
This recipe should be cooled completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3-4 days. It’s best to store and reheat the chicken and sauce together to prevent the chicken breasts from drying out.
Can I freeze chicken in a cream sauce?
Yes, this chicken and sauce freezes and reheats well! Store in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container up to 3 months for the best taste and texture.
The key to keeping a cream sauce from breaking during the freezing/reheating process is to transition things slowly. Make sure to allow the chicken to cool BEFORE storing it in a freezer bag so that the sauce and chicken don’t freeze too quickly. When you’re ready to eat, allow it to defrost slowly (preferably in the fridge overnight) then, reheat over low to ensure that the sauce doesn’t warm up too quickly.
The Best Way to Reheat Chicken Breasts
When reheating, you want to focus on two things: Not overcooking the chicken and not breaking the sauce. Reheating the chicken using a “low and slow” method is the easiest way to achieve a great rewarmed meal.
- Skillet – Heat the chicken and sauce in a skillet on medium-low or low heat, covering with a lid. Stir sauce and flip chicken occasionally to get an even reheat.
- Oven – Place the chicken and sauce in a baking dish and cover with foil. Heat at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes (or until heated through–Time depends on amount reheating at once).
- Microwave – On 50% power, reheat in 1 minute increments until warmed through. Stir sauce and turn chicken after each minute.
If you love this easy chicken breast recipe, you’ll love these chicken ideas:
- Easy Air Fryer Chicken – This is a great recipe when you needed perfectly cooked, tender chicken breasts in a hurry! If you’re wanting it fancier, try this Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breast recipe.
- Easy Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast – Perfect recipe for meal prepping an impressive dish ahead of time! The bacon ensures the chicken is juicy while also adding a great crunch.
- Pesto Chicken – This one-pan chicken dinner has a deliciously herby cream sauce that goes with everything! It’s an easy main course to pair with just about any vegetable or starch.
- Lemon Garlic Chicken – You’ll love the great light breading that gives a nice texture to this tender chicken recipe! The citrusy sauce brightens up the whole dish.
- Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken – Talk about exploding with flavor! This easy stuffed chicken recipe is simple yet so impressive; perfect for company!
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup – This soup recipe works perfectly with lean chicken breasts! That keeps it low in fat and easy to make.
FAQs about Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
For perfectly cooked, tender chicken breasts, start with a sear on both sides, then pressure cook for 5 minutes. Allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then remove to make your sauce.
Pressure cooking chicken breasts allows you to cook them quickly without drying them out! The Instant Pot makes juicy chicken breasts easy and fast. You could also air fry or grill chicken breasts if you prefer crispier edges.
No, but it does add a lot of great flavor. If you prefer to not cook with alcohol, skip the wine and replace it with additional chicken broth. For a delicious, full-bodied sauce, use a homemade chicken stock.
Instant Pot Chicken Breast
- 4 medium size chicken breasts 6-8 ounces each
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine can replace with additional broth if preferred
Pan Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Combine the spices and sprinkle them on each side of the chicken breast. Turn the sauté function on the Instant Pot and add the 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil.
- When the oil is hot add the seasoned breasts to the pot and sear for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pressure cooker and set aside.
- Turn the sauté function off and add the chicken stock and white wine to the pressure cooker. Scrape up any bits that might have stuck to the bottom of the pan. This is essential. Any dried spices stuck to the bottom can cause a burn message during the cooking cycle.
- Add the trivet to the pressure cooker over the liquid. Place the chicken breasts on the trivet (do not stack) and secure the lid.
- Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes. Once the cycle ends, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes manually release the remaining pressure and remove the chicken and trivet from the Instant Pot.
- Turn the saute function back on and bring the broth and white wine mixture to a boil. Allow the mixture to reduce by half (you will want between 1/3- 1/2 liquid left) then stir in the grated parmesan and heavy cream.
- Stir the mixture until it has thickened and the cheese is melted. Add the chicken back to the Instant Pot and cook for 2 minutes. Check for an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.