This Taco Spaghetti Squash Casserole is loaded with taco meat, tomatoes, vegetables and cheese! This cozy keto casserole has less than 6 net carbs and is great for keto meal prep!
We love our Easy Taco Mac, so I created this Keto Taco Zoodle Casserole when we needed to lower our carbs. I went to make this the other day, but I ran into a problem… We were without our spiralizer! We’re waiting for our new house to be built, so many of my kitchen gadgets are packed away in storage for the time being. I didn’t have any cauliflower rice for this Easy Keto Taco Casserole, but (luckily) a reliable winter squash saved the day.
Using spaghetti squash in place of the zucchini noodles meant I could have a low-carb, healthy pasta substitute without needing any fancy gadgets–Just an oven and a fork. This new version allows us to enjoy the casserole year-round while sticking to seasonal produce, saving us money, too!
Taco Spaghetti Squash Casserole Ingredients
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need. For specific measurements and instructions, keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card.
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Tomatoes with green chilies
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Cream cheese
- Shredded cheddar (divided)
- Spaghetti squash: Cooked and prepared
How to prepare spaghetti squash
To prepare spaghetti squash, simply cut in half (lengthwise), poke with a fork or knife several times, then roast until tender. Once cooked, run a fork through the squash to turn the flesh into noodles. For step-by-step instructions, here’s a tutorial for How to Cook Spaghetti Squash.
How to cook Spaghetti Squash Casserole
This recipe is super easy! First you’ll start with browning the ground beef in a large, deep skillet. Drain the grease, then add the taco seasoning and the undrained tomatoes. Stir and cook until most of the liquid has been cooked off.
Next, add the almond milk and cream cheese, then stir until cream cheese is dissolved. This is quicker if you start with room-temperature, soft cream cheese. Reduce heat to low and stir in one cup of the shredded cheese. Allow mixture to simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
When a thick, creamy cheese sauce has formed, stir in your prepared spaghetti squash noodles. Pour the mixture into a greased 7×11 baking dish, top with remaining cheese, and bake 20-25 minutes until the top begins to brown.
Can you make Keto Taco Casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare this spaghetti squash casserole up to 3 days ahead of time and store in the fridge. When ready to serve, cover with aluminum foil and bake about 10-15 minutes until warmed throughout. I wouldn’t freeze this, though… Cream cheese tends to separate when frozen and the texture of the shredded cheese changes. You could freeze the spaghetti squash and the ground beef separately, though, so you are able to make this casserole any time!
What to serve with Taco Spaghetti Squash Casserole
I love that this casserole doesn’t really require any side dishes! Your protein and vegetables are all included. If you want some sides, though, there are some great options! These Keto Zucchini Tortillas are gluten-free and low-carb. These Keto Taco Bites are a great option if you miss a biscuit-type side. Cutting a low-carb tortilla and toasting it would provide a great crunchy side, too… and you could dip those in this Avocado Bacon Dip!
Tips for the best Taco Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- If you’d like a leaner casserole, use ground turkey or ground chicken instead. Using 90% lean ground beef helps to not lead to tons of excess grease.
- You can prepare the meat ahead of time, but I would not assemble the casserole until you’re ready to bake. The spaghetti squash could release moisture and make the casserole soggy if the casserole isn’t cooked. You can cook it up to 3 days ahead of time, though.
- You can use milk substitutes–Just make sure it’s unsweetened and unflavored.
- If you don’t have a taco seasoning packet, you can make your own using this Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe!
More Keto Mexican Recipes
Looking for more? Check out this list of 40+ Keto Mexican Food Recipes!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar (divided)
- 3 cups prepared spaghetti squash*
- In a large deep skillet brown the ground beef over medium heat and drain any grease.
- Add the taco seasoning and undrained can of tomatoes, stir well and cook until there is little liquid left in the pan.
- Add the almond milk and cream cheese, stir until the cream cheese has dissolved. Reduce the heat to low and stir in one cup of the shredded cheddar cheese. Allow the mixture to simmer, stirring occasionally until a thick, creamy cheese sauce has formed.
- Stir in the prepared spaghetti squash noodles and pour into a greased 7x11 baking dish. Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until the cheese has begun to brown.
*Prepared Spaghetti Squash:
This means spaghetti squash that has been roasted until tender. Run a fork through the roasted squash until noodles form. You can find a step by step guide on how to prepare spaghetti squash here.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 23gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 1002mgCarbohydrates: 8.4gNet Carbohydrates: 5.9gFiber: 2.5gSugar: 2.2gProtein: 28g