This low carb Keto Taco Zoodle Casserole has all the flavor of taco mac without the carbs! Zucchini noodles, taco meat and a rich cheese sauce are baked until bubbly! The ultimate keto comfort food, under 6 net carbs per serving!
This is officially our new favorite dinner. We have had Keto Taco Zoodle Casserole on repeat the last month. It is easy, loaded with flavor, low in carbs perfect for a keto diet. One of the most popular non-keto recipes on this site is my One Pan Taco Mac. I have always loved how easy and comforting a good pasta dish is. Sadly, noodles are a no go on a keto diet. I have found that if properly prepared zoodles really are the perfect low carb replacement! Like most people I have tried zucchini lasagna or other dishes with zucchini in place of pasta and am always disappointed by how much moisture there is. I have tried salting them and letting them set out, grilling, etc but nothing seems to work. The trick to solving it seems to be pre-baking the noodles. The only tricky part is that there is no hard and fast rule on how long to pre-bake them. Depending on the size of the zucchini or level of moisture it can take a little longer, for me it has been anywhere for 10-20 minutes. Just keep in mind that you have to be watchful and use your best judgement, remove them from the oven when the moisture has evaporated and they have shrunk in size.
After the zoodles are prepared we just make some taco meat and a nice rich cheese sauce! Then we mix it all together and bake it until it is gold and bubbly! This is a great dish when you are craving comfort food. I served it with a nice side salad and it makes a great dinner and even better left overs! Take a look at the recipe video to guide you through pre-baking the zoodles and making the cheese sauce, it should be able to clear up any questions you might have!
- For the Zoodles
- 3 medium zucchini, spiralized
- For the Taco Meat
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground beef
- 1 ( 1 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies (Ro-Tel)
- For the cheese sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- For the top
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 mozzarella cheese
- *Please watch recipe video for tips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In an 9x13 baking dish lightly spray the bottom with cooking spray.
- Place the zoodles in the dish and spread out as much as possible.
- Bake zoodles at 10 minute intervals. Remove and stir every 10 minutes, continue baking at 10 minute intervals until the moisture has evaporated.
- **Depending on the size and moisture level of the zucchini this may take between 10-20 minutes. Remove when moisture as evaporated and they have shrunk in size, but before they are brown or crispy.**
- While zoodles are pre-baking heat a medium size greased skillet over medium heat and brown the ground turkey or beef. Drain off any fat.
- Add taco seasoning and the undrained can of tomatoes. Set mixture aside.
- In a medium size skillet over medium heat melt the butter, add the garlic, almond milk, heavy cream, cream cheese and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese. Whisk mixture until it is smooth and cheese has melted. Remove from heat.
- In the 9x13 pan you pre-baked your zoodles in layer the zoodles, taco meat, cheese sauce and remaining shredded cheese to the top. Bake 25-30 minutes until gold and bubbly.
Other Easy Keto Recipes