Just in case you haven’t taken a look, I updated my recipe index over the weekend. Now, instead of just a written list, you can see the image too! I still have a little reorganizing to do, but I think it is so much nicer, and as a huge bonus it wasn’t too terribly difficult for my technology challenged self.
One of the things I noticed was the fact that I only have a handful of slow cooker recipes, which is crazy because I use it all of the time! Really, probably once a week at least. I think it is that things cooked in a slow cooker are generally not pretty. If it isn’t pretty it isn’t going to photograph well, and if it doesn’t photograph well you will never want to make the recipe no matter how good I say it is because it doesn’t look good.
Urgh. Food blogger issues.
But these chicken tacos are the exception. Not only do they look scrumptious, they are a cinch to make and super healthy! It all starts by adding a couple chicken breast to your slow cooker, a good dose of salsa verde and a whole lime squeezed right over the top! Now, I don’t know about you, but I think magical things happen when limes juice is involved :) Now that everything is prepped turn your slow cooker on low and walk away!
After the chicken has simmered in salsa and lime juice all day just drain all of the liquid and shred the chicken, it will practically fall apart it is so tender. Place the shredded chicken back in the warm slow cooker, toss with some additional spices, a little more salsa Verde and the juice from other lime. Just mix everything up until it is coated in that zesty goodness and serve! We served these with warmed corn tortillas and garnished with a little impromptu guacamole, which is just chopped avocados, tomatoes, cilantro, sea salt and (you guessed it) lime juice.
Probably the best thing about slow cooker recipes is the fact that I put little to no effort forth in the morning and when I get home from work I am greeted by the fantastic smell of dinner, already finished and ready to go!
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 2 limes
- 1½ teaspoon cumin
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Spray the inside of a small slow cooker with cooking spray, set to low.
- Place chicken breast in slow cooker, cover with 1¾ cup salsa and the juice of one lime. Let cook on low for 8 hours.
- Drain off all liquid, shred chicken and place back in slow cooker add the remaining ¼ cup salsa, the juice of one lime and the cumin and garlic powder. Stir mixture until completely coated with the seasonings and salsa. Let mixture warm all the way through, serve with chips or warmed corn tortillas.
- Garnish with guacamole and additional limes.