These Banana Chocolate Muffins are naturally gluten free and perfect for easy meal prep! Boosted with protein powder and chocolate chips, these are the perfect start to your morning.
It’s no secret gluten free baking can be a little tricky. We’ve been a gluten free family since 2006 and even I have trouble getting things just right. However, these Banana Chocolate Muffins are the exception! They make gluten free baking so easy because there are no strange or expensive ingredients–Just bananas and a few pantry staples.
What ingredients do you need to make Flourless Chocolate Muffins?
I use the same base recipe as my super popular Flourless Peanut Butter Muffins. The original recipe just features chocolate chips, whereas this recipe is double chocolate! For exact measurements, you’ll have to scroll down to the printable recipe card, but here are the ingredients you will need:
- Peanut butter
- Protein powder (whatever brand or variety you like, this is the one I use)
- Baking powder
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate chips
You can make these muffins in a regular metal baking tin, but I find that a silicone pan works really well! The muffins always come out cleanly, and the silicone helps prevent overbaking. You can also use silicone baking liners if you have those handy. I actually have this set, which has both.
How to make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
These banana chocolate muffins are unique as they don’t include any flour! Flourless muffins are sometimes called blender muffins because you can add all the ingredients into a blender or food processor, making the recipe super easy.
First, add your bananas, peanut butter, honey, protein powder, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and eggs. Blend until a smooth batter forms. Add the chocolate chips and pulse just a few times until the chocolate chips are incorporated well. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin, then bake at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes. When the muffins are set, top with sea salt for a special salty-sweet treat!
Tips for the BEST Flourless Muffins:
- Use a silicone pan or silicone cup liners. These muffins easily stick to your average metal pan, so cooking in silicone makes it much easier to pop them out cleanly!
- If you don’t have a blender or food processor, first mash up the banana extremely well. Add in 1-2 more ingredients at a time, mashed and mixing to make sure the ingredients get well incorporated. You don’t really want banana chunks, just the banana mixed throughout.
- Switch up your flavors! These muffins are equally delicious using peanut butter chips. You could try toffee pieces, butterscotch, white chocolate, or even espresso chips to fit your favorite flavors.
- Don’t overbake. You can use a toothpick to check for doneness if you aren’t sure–Stick the toothpick right through the center of a muffin, and it’s finished when the toothpick comes out cleanly (disregarding melty chocolate chips).
Can you freeze Banana Chocolate Muffins?
Absolutely! To freeze these muffins, first allow them to cool completely. Next, wrap each muffin multiple times in plastic wrap, then place in a freezer bag. This makes it super easy to pull out just the right amount when you’re hungry!
If you are refrigerating these, they should last up to 5 days. If you freeze them, they should last 3 months. To thaw, leave out at room temperature for 1-2 hours, allow to thaw overnight in the fridge, or microwave for 30 seconds until warmed throughout.
What are some other easy meal prep recipes?
If you are looking for some easy recipes that you can prep ahead of time to make life run more smoothly I have tons of options for you. Some of my favorite easy meal prep breakfast recipes are:
- Keto Sausage Egg and Cheese Bites (under 1 net carb and reheat perfectly)
- Bacon and Spinach Egg Muffins (about 1 net carb and very basic ingredients)
- Almond Butter Espresso Balls (gluten free, easy and has a caffeine kick!)
- Lemon Chia Pudding (low-carb, gluten free, and can be made 2 ways)
For lunch, I’ve always loved a good wrap! My favorite is this Grilled Zucchini and Hummus Wrap, but this Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wrap is also a winner! This Spicy Thai Salad with Chicken packs great in a mason jar and is super flavorful. If you are looking for something a little more substantial this One Pan Bacon Cheeseburger Mac is also gluten free and reheats so well, adults and kiddos will love it!
More Gluten Free Muffin Recipes:
- Toasted Coconut Muffins
- Carrot Ginger Muffins with a Spiced Glaze
- Keto Pumpkin Muffins with Pecan Crumble
Chocolate Flourless Protein Muffins
These Chocolate Flourless Protein Muffins are naturally gluten free and perfect for easy meal prep!
- 2 brown bananas
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup protein powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a muffin tin with baking grease or line with muffin tins, set aside.
- Place all ingredients except chocolate chips in a blender and blend for 30 seconds or until completely smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips and pour into muffin tins.
- Bake 12-14 minutes until muffins have set
You can use any type of protein powder you would like. I have used vanilla, chocolate and unflavored and they all work great.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 289mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 9g
To avoid any confusion I remove erythritol from the final carb count and net carb count, as it is not known to affect blood glucose levels. To calculate Keto recipes listed on this site carbs - fiber = net carbs. I use Nutrifox as my nutrition calculator. This nutrition information is an estimate based on the information provided by Nutrifox and the specific ingredients I used.
Melanie @ Carmel Moments says
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel says
Ashley | The Recipe Rebel says
Michele @ Two Raspberries says
Kelly - Life Made Sweeter says
Leah | So, How's It Taste? says
Annie McDaniel says
Annie Holmes says
Annie Holmes says
Annie Holmes says
Annie Holmes says