This easy Chicken Florentine recipe features herb crusted chicken and spinach with a rich and creamy white wine sauce. This one pan dish is ready in under 30 minutes and is low carb and keto-friendly!
Today I’m coming at you with familiar flavors from Italy! Chicken Florentine is a dish attributed to Florence Italy. Florence is the capital of the Tuscany region. As you can imagine, any recipe that is associated with this culinary gem has to be good! This dish is not only delicious, it is easy. It features perfectly seasoned chicken breast that are pan seared. Then, a few ingredients including garlic, wine and spinach make a perfect creamy sauce that pairs well with just about anything. This is a dish that is easy enough for weeknights but impressive enough for company!
Ingredients for Chicken Florentine
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed for this recipe. To get the complete, printable recipe just keep scrolling. To make easy, keto-friendly Chicken Florentine you will need the following ingredients:
- Chicken: I use boneless, skinless chicken breast for this recipe. While it is not traditional, it will also work with chicken thighs if you prefer a different cut of chicken.
- Spices: Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Butter: I use salted butter for this recipe.
- White Wine: use a nice dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc. If you prefer to skip the wine chicken broth will work as a substitute.
- Vegetables: you will need minced garlic and fresh spinach for this recipe.
- Heavy Cream: this adds the perfect rich and creamy texture to the sauce.
- Parmesan: I use grated parmesan, but shredded will work in a pinch.
How to Make Chicken Florentine
This recipe is very easy, but it does have a few different steps. I’ve documented the entire process below so you can easily follow along.
Slice the Chicken
Chicken breast are quite large so you will want to cut them through the center to create two thinner chicken breast as pictured here. Once you’ve sliced the chicken sprinkle with the seasonings.
Next, heat a skillet to medium heat and add a little olive oil or spray oil. Sear the chicken 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
Sauté Garlic and Add Wine
Add the butter and garlic to the skillet and sauté until fragrant. Add the wine and chicken broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Allow the wine to simmer until it has reduced by half. This will take about 5 minutes.
Add Heavy Cream
Pour in the heavy cream and bring the mixture back to a simmer. Allow the heavy cream to simmer, stirring occasionally until it has begun to thicken. This will take 4-5 minutes.
Add Spinach and Parmesan
Now it is time to add the spinach and parmesan. The spinach will seem like quite a lot at first, so you can do this in batches if needed. It actually wilts down to practically nothing so be sure to use the full amount. Continue to stir the spinach and cheese into the sauce until the cheese has melted and the spinach has wilted.
Place the Chicken in the Skillet
Add the chicken back to the skillet and reduce the heat to low. Place a cover on the skillet and allow the chicken to cook through. The dish is ready to serve when the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
What to Serve with Chicken Florentine
This recipe has such great flavor that it pairs with many side dish recipes. If you are keeping a low carb, keto-friendly diet I suggest serving this chicken with this Cauliflower Risotto, Air Fryer Broccoli, or a nice cold Wedge Salad.
Store any leftover Chicken Florentine in an air tight container up to 5 days. You can also make this entire dish ahead of time and store in a casserole dish. When ready to serve heat the oven to 350 degrees F. and place the covered baking dish in the oven and heat 20-25 minutes until heated through.
Other Chicken Skillet Recipes
- Pesto Chicken: herb rubbed chicken breast are pan seared and served with a creamy pesto sauce and topped with cheese! This is one I usually serve for guests and it always gets rave reviews!
- Cheesy Jalapeño Chicken: Chicken breast are served in a creamy, spicy sauce that is so good!
- Chicken with Bacon Cream Sauce: chicken + bacon = happiness.
- Bacon Cheeseburger Skillet: everything you love about a bacon cheeseburger but in a yummy skillet meal that happens to be keto!
- Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Skillet: this dish is loaded with protein and veggies!
Yes, this recipe works really well with salmon and shrimp!
You can sub the spinach for kale, I would remove the stems and chop the kale well.
You can use a good quality chicken stock instead of wine if you prefer.
No, you really need to stick with the heavy cream for the best taste and texture. Dairy free alternatives just do not provide the rich, creamy texture and other dairy options are likely to curdle.
Easy Chicken Florentine
- 2 large chicken breast sliced to make 2 thinner breast (4 breast total)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder + salt and pepper to taste
Creamy Sauce Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups fresh spinach packed
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Slice the chicken lengthwise to create two thinner chicken breast (4 breast total) and sprinkle each side with the seasonings.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and spray well with cooking spray or add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sear the chicken 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the butter and garlic to the skillet and sauté until fragrant. Add the wine and chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Allow the wine to reduce by half. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the heavy cream and allow the heavy cream to simmer, stirring occasionally until it has begun to thicken. This will take 4-5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and parmesan. You may want to add the spinach in batches as it wilts. Stir the mixture until the cheese has melted and the spinach has wilted.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and reduce heat to low. Place a cover on the skillet and allow the chicken to cook through. The dish is ready to serve when the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.