These Sweet and Spicy Asian Meatballs are loaded with flavor and perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or a game day snack!
I have not been sure Autumn was going to arrive in Tennessee. Every year I like to wait until the first cool crisp fall morning before I decide to go get my mums and pumpkins for the porch and this year we skirted very close to Halloween before that nice cool morning came! Fortunately, it finally arrived! I love everything about fall. I love the colors, the clothes, and of course, the food! Fall is the time to fully embrace comfort food!
If there is one food that screams comfort food it is a piping hot skillet of meatballs! These are not your mama’s meatballs. These are Sweet and Spicy Asian Meatballs loaded with red pepper flakes and lots of savory spices then coated in a thick sweet and spicy sauce that is to die for! These would be great as a game day appetizer or a main dish with rice or lo mien.
Ingredients for Sweet and Spicy Asian Meatballs
As always, you will find the complete recipe below but here is a quick list. To make Asian meatballs you will need the following ingredients:
- Ground pork: you can also use ground beef, chicken, or turkey if you prefer.
- Honey: maple syrup or another liquid sweetener will work as well.
- Sesame oil: toasted sesame oil for the best flavor.
- Rice vinegar: do not sub distilled vinegar.
- Soy sauce: be sure to check labels if gluten free.
- Cornstarch: for thickening the sauce.
- Spices: Red pepper flakes, Garlic powder, Garlic salt, Ground ginger, and Garlic
How do you make Sweet and Spicy Meatballs?
These meatballs come together pretty easily. You just combine the ingredients for your meatballs in a mixing bowl and roll them into small balls, about the size of a golf ball, and sear them in a pan until they are nice and brown on all sides, then pop the pan in the oven and let them finish cooking.
Then we mix the sweet and spicy sauce! This is a sauce that works great on other things like shrimp, chicken, or veggies. Combine all of your sauce ingredients except the water and cornstarch.
When the meatballs are cooked through place your skillet back on the stove over medium heat and remove the meatballs from the skillet and set them on a paper towel-lined plate and drain off any grease in your skillet. Pour your sauce mix in the skillet heat over medium-low heat.
Meanwhile, combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and pour in the skillet while stirring continuously. When the sauce begins to thicken add the meatballs back to the skillet and allow it to cook over low for 3-4 minutes so they are coated and soak up that delicious flavor!
More Asian-Inspired Recipes to Try:
- Orange-Sesame Chicken Skewers
- Spicy Kung Pao Chicken
- Steak Lo Mein
- Sesame Pork and Green Beans
- Sesame Shrimp Skewers
- Keto Sesame Chicken Stir Fry
- Meatball Ingredients
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- Sweet and Spicy Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine all of the meatball ingredients (ground pork-breadcrumbs) until well combined.
- When the mixture is combined roll into small balls, about the size of a golf ball and set aside.
- Heat an oven proof skillet to medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Place your meatballs evenly in the skillet and brown on all sides 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Place your skillet in the oven and allow the meatballs to cook 10-12 minutes until they are fully cooked.
- When the meatballs are completely cooked use tongs to remove the meatballs from the skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Drain any grease from the skillet.
- For the Sweet and Spicy Sauce:
- In a small bowl or measuring cup combine all of your sauce ingredients except the water and cornstarch.
- When the meatballs are cooked through place your skillet back on the stove over medium heat and remove the meatballs from the skillet and set on a paper towel lined plate and drain off any grease in your skillet.
- Pour your sauce mix in the skillet heat over medium low heat.
- Meanwhile, combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and pour in the skillet while stirring continuously. When the sauce begins to thicken add the meatballs back to the skillet and allow it to cook over low for 3-4 minutes so they are coated and soak up that delicious flavor!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 618Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 172mgSodium: 1170mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 38g
To avoid any confusion I remove erythritol from the final carb count and net carb count, as it is not known to affect blood glucose levels. To calculate Keto recipes listed on this site carbs - fiber = net carbs.