This Easy Buffalo Roast Chicken is packed with flavor and makes an easy and delicious dinner! Try this spicy twist on a classic!
Do you have a weekly staple on your menu? You know, like taco Tuesday or pizza Friday? We do, we are such creatures of habit we have variations of the same kinds of dinner almost weekly. One of our go to is an easy roast chicken. I love the simplicity of a roast chicken. It takes very little prep work, makes a good amount of food to give you a jumpstart on the week, and you can make a million different variations of it!
We are Buffalo Chicken addicts here, we’ve got recipes for Buffalo Chicken Chili, Buffalo Chicken Sweet Peppers, and Buffalo flavored Tenders, so creating a delicious buffalo flavored roast chicken was a must! This easy chicken is rubbed with a savory combination of our favorite spices. Most of the spices you probably already have in your cabinet like chili powder, garlic salt, and paprika.
Here is how we make it! Unwrap and remove anything from the inside cavity of your chicken (I use tongs and put this straight into a plastic bag to dispose of easily) and rinse with cool water. Pat your chicken dry and place on a cutting board or clean work surface. Sprinkle half the seasonings on one side of the chicken and rub it evenly so it is completely coated, flip the chicken and repeat with the other side. Place your chicken in a medium size cast iron skillet or baking dish. Drizzle the top of the chicken with olive oil an rub it on so that it is completely covered. And pop it in the oven!
Meanwhile, I combine a bit of buffalo sauce and apple cider vinegar in a small sauce pan on the stove and bring it to a simmer, then reduce to heat to low for 10-15 minutes just so the sauce has some time to thicken and for those flavors to meld together, then set aside. After about 45 minutes check your chicken with a meat thermometer and when it reaches an internal temp of 160 degrees it’s done! Allow your chicken to rest a few minutes before cutting, then brush on that tangy buffalo sauce! There you have it, an easy hearty dinner that is a fun twist on a classic!
- 5-6 pound whole chicken
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil for drizzling
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400
- Combine all your spice ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Remove anything from the cavity of the chicken and rinse with water, pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the chicken on a clean work surface and sprinkle half the seasonings on the chicken and rub it on so that it is coated evenly, flip the chicken and repeat.
- Place the chicken in a medium size oven proof skillet (I used cast iron) or baking dish.
- Drizzle olive oil over the chicken and rub it on so it is coated well.
- Cook for 45 minutes, check the internal temperature and remove from the oven when it reaches 160 degrees.
- **Cooking times WILL vary depending on how big your chicken is, how many other items are in your oven, etc. Rely on a meat thermometer to know when your chicken is done.**
- While the chicken is cooking combine the buffalo sauce and apple cider vinegar over medium high heat until it begins to simmer. Reduce heat to low for 10-15 minutes and set aside for brushing.
- When the chicken is done brush with buffalo sauce and enjoy.
Check out these Easy Crock Pot Recipes!