Thinly sliced red potatoes are smothered in a creamy white cheddar sauce and baked with a crispy buttery topping!
If there is one food I absolutely could not live without it is potatoes. If I were stranded on a deserted island and could only take three things you better believe potatoes would be one of them. I’ll take them anyway I can get them, mashed, baked, smashed or in soup. You name it, I’ll eat it! I think my deep love for potatoes probably comes from my days as a vegetarian. I didn’t eat meat for nearly 10 years so during that time I lived off side dishes. If Mom made something like pork chops, mashed potatoes and corn I just ate loads of potatoes and corn so to me I guess they aren’t side dishes, they are meals in themselves!
Scalloped potatoes actually don’t make an appearance at our house much. It’s not that we don’t love them, it’s just in terms of potato dishes this is one of the more time consuming dishes. It isn’t hard to make but it involves slicing your potatoes very thin, layering, making the creamy cheese sauce, layering some more and then baking. It is a labor of love, but totally worth it!
This particular version uses sliced red potatoes, thinly sliced onions and garlic and a creamy white cheddar sauce that we make from scratch! Pair all of that with a crispy buttery topping and you have the ultimate side dish!
- White Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
- 1 pound small red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons gluten free flour
- 1¼ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- For the Topping
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup gluten free bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a small sauce pan melt butter over medium heat and blend in flour, let the mixture brown for about 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Slowly pour milk and whisk as the mixture thickens. Add cheddar, parmesan and seasonings.
- Continue to stir mixture as it thickens.
- Place a half of the sliced potatoes, sliced onion and minced garlic in a lightly greased large cast iron skillet one quart casserole dish.
- Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
- In a small bowl combine the melted butter, bread crumbs and Italian seasoning and sprinkle over the scalloped potatoes
- Bake 40 minutes.
US Potato Board and Honest Cooking has compensated me for my time, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that support Maebells.