It is a Monday that doesn’t feel like Monday!
I have spent the entire weekend covered in paint. When I cracked open the first can of paint I was 100% sure I was going to regret my decision to spend ALL WEEKEND painting by myself. Surprisingly enough, I have loved it. Mr. Maebell has been away on a hunting trip and he took the dogs with him so the house has been quite in the most fantastic way. Just me, a paint brush, and netflix.
We I have converted one of the spare rooms into an office. You heard me right, an office! Maebells is legit now! It is getting a nice coat of mossy/light green paint and a gallery wall so I can finally hang some wedding pictures. It is so refreshing to change things up. While I was out it I repainted a bathroom too!
If there is one thing I am sure of it is that any type of home improvement should be rewarded. Which is exactly why I made these Red Velvet Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Icing. They seemed like just the way to treat myself after a weekend of spackle, sand paper, and paint.
So just in case your looking for a way to reward your self this holiday weekend whip up a batch of these little guys! You won’t be sorry!
- For the cupcakes:
- 1½ cups gluten free bisquick
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dark chocolate cocoa powder
- ½ cup cold coffee
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup canola or coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon red food coloring
- For the icing:
- 8 ounces of cream cheese (I used reduced fat)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean*
- *If you don't have vanilla bean just use 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract total
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
- Add the coffee, milk, beaten eggs, oil and food coloring. Stir until mixture is completely incorporated and smooth.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray, and carefully scoop the cupcake batter into the molds. (I used an ice cream scoop, it helps to give them nice round tops)
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until set and a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from tin and let them cool on a wire rack.
- While cupcakes are cooling combine the cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. This is easiest if you use a stand or hand mixer. Beat the cream cheese and butter for 30-45 seconds or until they are fluffy. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and continue to beat the mixture until all the sugar is incorporated and the mixture begins to thicken.
- Cut open the vanilla bean and scrape or squeeze out the inside seeds. Beat the frosting about 30 more seconds so the vanilla is distributed evenly.
- Store icing in the fridge until the cupcakes are completely cool.
- Frost cupcakes and enjoy.