Learn how to make Easy Blackened Chicken perfect for salads, wraps, pasta and more. Pair with a low carb side for the perfect keto meal!
Lately I have been struggling with my low carb keto diet a little. We are in the hazy, hot, humid days of summer and I am missing my favorite summer foods like a nice cold piece of watermelon or homemade ice cream. There are of course some great low carb recipes like this Keto Fruit Pizza that help with those cravings, but I feel like there also has to be a mental shift to be able to be satisfied on keto.
You have to allow yourself to enjoy simple no fuss dishes like this Easy Blackened Chicken. This simple smokey, cajun flavored grilled chicken is perfect paired with a salad or other low carb side like green beans or garlic butter broccoli.
What is Blackened Chicken?
Blackened Chicken is all about the rub. This recipe features a homemade blackened seasoning packed with paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and other spices. This is a spice mix that originated in New Orleans and can be used on any type of protein and is also great on vegetables.
After you make the Blackened Seasoning simply rub onto the meat until it is completely coated. You can either grill or pan sear your meat until it is cooked though and finish by brushing with garlic butter. If you want to add this spice mix as a pantry staple you can store the mix in an air tight container and use it anytime.
The recipe below will liberally cover 1 pound of meat or vegetables, or more if you want to go lighter on the seasoning.
What goes with Blackened Chicken?
This Easy Blackened Chicken is such a versatile dinner option. You can easily grill some on Sunday for a quick meal prep option to go on salads, wraps, or sandwiches. If serving for dinner these are some of my favorite side dish options:
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Green Beans (keto)
- Asparagus Avocado and Tomato Salad (keto)
- Low Carb Dinner Rolls (keto)
- Chipotle Gouda Twice Baked Potatoes
- Mom’s Mashed Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Heat a grill to high heat (approximtely 400 degrees)
- In a small bowl combine all the spice ingredients and mix well.
- Slice the chicken so they are uniform in thickness so they cook at the same rate. (See video)
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the seasoning mix on each side of the chicken, make sure to completely cover.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Note, the cooking time will vary greatly on the thickness of the chicken.
- When chicken has reached the proper internal temp brush with garlic butter and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 36g
Other Easy Keto Recipes
If you are new to Keto try my favorite Sausage Egg and Cheese Bites, they contain less than one net carb per bite and they are perfect for meal prep! One of my favorite easy low carb dinners is this One Pan Cabbage Casserole. It is so easy, cheesy and delicious and it has less than 9 net carbs per serving. Some other favorites, Keto Chocolate Cookies, Pimento Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Peppers and Sausage and Cream Cheese Pinwheels!