Learn how to make Blackened Chicken that’s perfect for salads, wraps, pasta and more. Pair with a low-carb side for the perfect keto meal!
What Is Blackened Chicken?
Lately I have been struggling with my low-carb keto diet a little. We are in the hazy, hot, humid days of summer and I am missing my favorite summer foods, like a nice cold piece of watermelon or homemade ice cream.
There are of course some great low-carb recipes, like this Keto Fruit Pizza, that help with those cravings, but I feel like there also has to be a mental shift to be able to be satisfied on keto.
You have to allow yourself to enjoy simple no fuss dishes like this Easy Blackened Chicken. This simple smokey, cajun-flavored grilled chicken is perfect paired with a salad or other low carb side like green beans or garlic butter broccoli.
Blackened chicken is all about the rub. This recipe features a homemade blackened seasoning packed with paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and other spices. This is a spice mix that originated in New Orleans and can be used on any type of protein and is also great on vegetables.
Ingredients for Blackened Chicken
This blackened chicken breast recipe comes together quickly with minimal ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to make blackened cajun chicken:
- Chicken breasts
- Italian seasoning
- Red pepper
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
I prefer to make my own blackened chicken seasoning because I like to control the amount of salt in my food. Plus, it’s nice to have the option to dial up the garlic, onion, etc. to suit my mood that day.
How to Make Blackened Chicken
I’ve given detailed instructions in the recipe card below on how to make blackened chicken, but here’s an overview of the steps:
- Whisk together the blackened chicken seasoning.
- After you make the seasoning, simply rub it onto the meat until it is completely coated.
- You can either make grilled blackened chicken or pan seared blackened chicken.
- Finish by brushing with garlic butter.
What to Serve with Blackened Chicken
This Easy Blackened Chicken is such a versatile dinner option. You can easily grill some on Sunday for a quick meal prep option to go on salads, wraps, or sandwiches. If serving for dinner these are some of my favorite side dish options:
- Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Green Beans (keto)
- Asparagus Avocado and Tomato Salad (keto)
- Low-Carb Dinner Rolls (keto)
- Chipotle Gouda Twice Baked Potatoes
- Mom’s Mashed Potatoes
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
Yes, you may use chicken thighs or chicken breasts in this recipe. If using chicken thighs, the cook time may differ slightly.
Can I Use a Pre-Made Blackened Seasoning?
Of course! I just prefer making my own because I like to control the amount of salt in my food (some blackened seasonings are far too salty for my taste).
Can I Bake the Chicken?
Yes! We like to make grilled blackened chicken, but you can bake the chicken breasts too.
Tips for Making Blackened Cajun Chicken
- If you want to add this spice mix as a pantry staple, you can store the mix in an air tight container and use it anytime.
- The blackened seasoning recipe below will liberally cover 1 pound of meat or vegetables, or more if you want to go lighter on the seasoning.
- Note that the exact cook time will vary depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts. If you’re in a hurry, pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness so they cook quicker.
More Keto Dinner Recipes:
- Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza
- Keto Taco Zoodle Casserole
- One-Pan Cabbage Casserole
- Broccoli Cheddar Chicken
- Keto Thai Chicken Salad
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Heat a grill to high heat (approximtely 400 degrees F).
- In a small bowl, combine all the spice ingredients and mix well.
- Slice the chicken so they are uniform in thickness so they cook at the same rate. (See video within post)
- Sprinkle half of the seasoning mix on each side of the chicken, make sure to completely cover.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. *
- When chicken has reached the proper internal temp, brush with garlic butter and serve.
- *Note: the cooking time will vary greatly depending on the thickness of the chicken.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 36g
To avoid any confusion I remove erythritol from the final carb count and net carb count, as it is not known to affect blood glucose levels. To calculate Keto recipes listed on this site carbs - fiber = net carbs. I use Nutrifox as my nutrition calculator. This nutrition information is an estimate based on the information provided by Nutrifox and the specific ingredients I used.