Last week, I had a friend ask if I could add some “Just for One” recipes. You know, recipes just for you, meals using regular, common ingredients to make simple, healthy meals for just one person.
Well I absolutely can!
Actually, I cook a good bit for just myself. Mr. Maebell and I don’t always work the same schedule so sometimes it is just me for dinner. So, I was brainstorming ideas and I kept coming back to an egg dish. If there is one thing that is the epitome of cheap, quick, and healthy eggs fit the bill.
After I made this I asked myself why haven’t I been baking eggs my whole life? Has everyone else been doing it? Is it a new thing? I am loving it!
Just throw some fixings in a dish, crack some eggs over the top and bake for a couple minutes. Grab a slice of toast and you have a meal fit for a king! Or a queen. 🙂
I used shredded sharp cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, and bacon, but you could use absolutely anything. For a vegetarian version you could try peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Or if you wanted to cut out the extra step of cooking the bacon you could use deli ham and swiss cheese. Whatever works for you, or more importantly, whatever you already have on hand.
Just in case you need to whip up something quick and easy this is a great one to keep in mind!
5 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
13 minTotal Time
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 slice bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Place butter in a small five inch skillet or baking dish, place in your oven while preheating, just until the butter melts.
- Sprinkle green onions, cheddar, and bacon over melted butter.
- Carefully crack two eggs into skillet, be careful not to break the yolk.
- Bake until eggs reach desired firmness*
- Garnish with tomato and cilantro if desired.
- *In my oven 8 minutes gives you a runny yolk, 10 for soft, and 13 for a firm yolk. But I recommend keeping an eye on it since every oven cooks a bit differently.