The ultimate vegetarian slider packed with fresh zucchini, mini sweet peppers, basil leaves and a creamy whipped Pesto and Feta Spread!
Since Football season is in full swing the big question every week is “What are you making for the game?!”
As a person who is totally indifferent to football, I am kind of glad that food seems to be a big way to “get into the game” because it makes me feel like I am a true Southerner who is actually celebrating game day. So, I will gladly put on my florescent orange t shirt, make snacks, and Pinterest while my husband screams at the television.
The only bad thing about it is that all traditional game day snacks are so darn unhealthy. I am totally up for an ooey, gooey, cheesy snack but eating it week after week is a little much. So I have been experimenting with some lighter, healthier game day options. I finally struck gold over the weekend with these beautiful Italian Veggie Sliders with Whipped Pesto+Feta Spread. Seriously, these little guys are kind of a miracle.
It is so simple, I just toss some sliced zucchini and mini sweet peppers in a little olive oil and a few spices, cooked them in a skillet until they were tender and had browned a little bit, toasted some rolls, made this super easy spread and called it a day! You could make a pretty big batch of these in under 20 minutes. I served them with the Pesto Chicken Sweet Peppers for the perfect, filling but healthy game day snack.
These will be making a regular appearance around our table, healthy, easy, and super easy!
- 4-6 rolls (I used Udi's gluten free rolls)
- 2 medium size zucchini, sliced fairly thickly
- 8 mini sweet peppers, sliced fairly thickly
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
- 1½ tablespoon basil pesto
- 2 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 4-6 basil leaves (one or two leaves per slider)
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat.
- Toss the sliced zucchini and the sliced sweet peppers with the olive oil and the spices in a large ziplock bag.
- Lightly spray the skillet with cooking spray and add the veggies in a single layer (this may take two batches to get it all)
- Cook the vegetables for approximately 2 minutes on each side until they are tender and beginning to brown a bit.
- Remove vegetables from skillet and add the sliced halves of the rolls to the skillet to lightly toast them. Approximately 1 minute.
- Remove rolls from heat
- Combine the feta cheese, cream cheese and basil in a small blender or food process and pulse approximately 30 seconds until well combined.
- To assemble the sliders stack the zucchini and pepper slices on the rolls, top with basil leaves, spread a thick layer of the spread over the top half of the bun and close.
*I used Udi’s dinner rolls, which are pretty large for rolls. I got 5 very full sandwiches with this recipe.
If you are using something like the little hawaiian bread rolls this will make closer to 6-8 sliders for you.
Other Great Recipes