Sliced eggplant is grilled and packed with a cheesy, Roasted Garlic Ranch and kale mixture! A super easy vegetarian dinner!
Sunshine makes me feel like Wonder Woman.
My mood and level of productivity is directly related to the sun. Weird right?
In the winter it gets dark well before five, so when I get home from work it doesn’t matter how much has to get done I put pajamas and fuzzy socks on and wait for bed time. I mean who in there right mind gets anything done when it is dark out?!
But in the Summer, it is a different story. I can get everything on my to do list plus some extras done every single day because the sun is out! I am unstoppable when the sun is out.
That is how these Roasted Garlic Ranch Eggplant Rolls came to be. There is simply no way Mr. Maebell would consider these a meal because they don’t have meat, but I thought I could pass these off as an appetizer.
Yes, you heard me right. An appetizer. On a weeknight! Told you sunshine makes me feel like Wonder Woman!
These are really easy to whip up, especially if you already have your grill cranked up for something else. Here is how we make them! Start by slicing an eggplant length wise so you have nice long strips. Spray each side with a little olive oil spray and season each side with a little salt and pepper. Toss the slices on the grill and let them cook for about 2 minutes on each side until you have those nice pretty grill marks and the eggplant is tender.
In a small bowl mix some ricotta, shredded mozzarella, Roasted Garlic Ranch dressing and some thinly sliced kale. If you prefer not to use kale spinach is a great substitute. Place a spoonful of the filling on the wide end of the eggplant slices and tightly roll the eggplant up and secure with toothpicks.
Now, the next step is totally based on your preferences. You can place the eggplant rolls in a small baking dish and bake for 20 minutes at 350 so your rolls are warmed through. This version lets the eggplant and kale shine in all their glory. Or, you can add 1/2 cup of marinara to the bottom of a small baking dish and place the eggplant rolls right on top. Sprinkle with a little extra mozzarella and bake for about 20 minutes and top with a little basil.
Both versions are great, the first is nice and simple and the second gives you a nice alternative to eggplant parmesan. Either way you try it, this is a perfect Summer recipe that comes together in a flash!
- 1 eggplant
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced kale or spinach (stems removed)
- 1 tablespoon Roasted Garlic Ranch (you can use up to 2 tablespoons total if you prefer a stronger taste)
- 1/2 cup marinara (optional)
- 1/8 cup additional shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium heat.
- Slice an eggplant lengthwise into nice long strips, pat the eggplant dry.
- Lightly spray each side of the eggplant slices with olive oil spray (or brush with oil) and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Grill the eggplant slices approximately 2 minutes on each side or until grill marks are visible and eggplant is tender.
- In a small bowl combine the ricotta, mozzarella, kale and Roasted Garlic Ranch.
- Place a spoonful of the mixture on the widest end of the eggplant slice and roll up tightly.
- Secure eggplant rolls with tooth picks.
- Place rolls in a small baking dish and bake for 20 minutes until warmed through.
- Alternatively, you can add 1/2 cup marinara sauce to the bottom of the baking dish, lay the eggplant rolls on top and garnish with additional mozzarella. Bake 20 minutes.
You May Also Like: