These Eggplant Rolls make a super easy vegetarian appetizer or dinner in just 30 minutes! Sliced eggplant is grilled and packed with a cheesy, Roasted Garlic Ranch and kale mixture!
Sunshine makes me feel like Wonder Woman.
My mood and level of productivity is directly related to the sun. Weird right?
In the winter it gets dark well before five, so when I get home from work it doesn’t matter how much has to get done; I put pajamas and fuzzy socks on and wait for bed time. I mean who in their right mind gets anything done when it is dark out?!
But in the Summer, it is a different story. I can get everything on my to do list plus some extras done every single day because the sun is out! I am unstoppable when the sun is out.
That is how these Roasted Garlic Ranch Eggplant Rolls came to be. There is simply no way Mr. Maebell would consider these a meal because they don’t have meat, but I thought I could pass these off as an appetizer.
Yes, you heard me right. An appetizer. On a weeknight! Told you sunshine makes me feel like Wonder Woman!
Ingredients for Grilled Eggplant Rolls:
These stuffed rolls are simple and only require five ingredients! Here’s a quick rundown of what you’ll need for this recipe, but keep scrolling down to the recipe card for exact measurements and instructions!
- Ricotta cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Kale (Spinach can also be used if you prefer)
- Roasted Garlic Ranch dressing (Regular ranch will also work, but the added ‘oomph’ from the roasted garlic is amazing!)
- Optional: Marinara sauce
How do you make Cheesy Eggplant Rolls?
These are really easy to whip up, especially if you already have your grill cranked up for something else. Here is how we make them!
Start by slicing an eggplant length wise so you have nice long strips. Spray each side with a little olive oil spray, then season each side with a little salt and pepper.
Toss the slices on the grill and let them cook for about 2 minutes on each side until you have those nice pretty grill marks and the eggplant is tender.
In a small bowl mix some ricotta, shredded mozzarella, Roasted Garlic Ranch dressing and some thinly sliced kale. Place a spoonful of the filling on the wide end of the eggplant slices, tightly roll the eggplant up, and then secure with toothpicks.
Now, the next step is totally based on your preferences. You can place the eggplant rolls in a small baking dish and bake for 20 minutes at 350 so your rolls are warmed through. This version lets the eggplant and kale shine in all their glory.
Alternatively, you can add 1/2 cup of marinara to the bottom of a small baking dish and place the eggplant rolls right on top. Sprinkle with a little extra mozzarella and bake for about 20 minutes and top with a little basil.
Both versions are great! The first is nice and simple, and the second gives you an easy alternative to eggplant parmesan. Either way you try it, this is a perfect Summer recipe that comes together in a flash!
How should I store and reheat these?
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, I recommend storing the eggplant rolls in an air-tight container for 2-3 days. The eggplant does release some moisture over time, so you may want to place a paper towel in the container to keep the rolls from getting too soggy.
To reheat these, you can microwave in 30-second intervals until warmed throughout. If you prefer the roll to be a bit crisp, you could also place the rolls in a skillet on medium-low heat and cover until warm in the middle. Roll the eggplant occasionally to crisp up the entire exterior and not burn it.
If you have extra filling leftover, I highly recommend you trying this with other foods! It makes an amazing spread on sandwiches or wraps, and it would even be a delicious filling for mushrooms or jalapenos. You could even dip fresh veggies into it!
More Summer Appetizers:
- Easy Eggplant Stacks – I love the amazing textures of this one, and they look so cute!
- Keto Grilled Zucchini Mozzarella Wraps – These low-carb melty bites feel are the perfect appetizer or side with a grilled meal!
- Havarti Smothered Meatballs and Marinara – Cheesy, a bit tangy, and an interesting twist on your average meatball!
- Keto Sausage Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers – These are filling yet light enough to not make you feel stuffed! 4 poppers only add 2.4 net carbs to your day!
- Sweet Corn Salsa – This summer staple uses grilled corn and will go perfectly on chips, tacos, and wraps!
- Avocado Bacon Dip – This creamy dip is delicious AND adds a beautiful pop of color to any Summer spread!
- Keto Zucchini Fries – Use up that excess squash with these crispy, healthier alternative to fries! Great for dipping, too!
- 1 eggplant
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon Roasted Garlic Ranch (you can use up to 2 tablespoons total if you prefer a stronger taste)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced kale or spinach (stems removed)
- 1/2 cup marinara (optional)
- 1/8 cup additional shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 and heat a grill or grill pan to medium heat.
- Slice an eggplant lengthwise into nice long strips, then pat the eggplant dry.
- Lightly spray each side of the eggplant slices with olive oil spray (or brush with oil) and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Grill the eggplant slices approximately 2 minutes on each side or until grill marks are visible and eggplant is tender.
- In a small bowl combine the ricotta, mozzarella, kale, and Roasted Garlic Ranch.
- Place a spoonful of the mixture on the widest end of the eggplant slice and roll up tightly. To make sure they don't come apart, secure eggplant rolls with tooth picks.
- Place rolls in a small baking dish and bake for 20 minutes until warmed through.
**Alternatively, you can add 1/2 cup marinara sauce to the bottom of the baking dish, lay the eggplant rolls on top and garnish with additional mozzarella. Bake 20 minutes.
Nutrition information does not include the optional marinara or extra cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 3 rolls
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 11.9gCholesterol: 38.7mgSodium: 336.6mgCarbohydrates: 19.8gNet Carbohydrates: 10.9gFiber: 8.9gSugar: 10.7gProtein: 18.9g