This Creamy Cajun Chicken Soup is loaded with tender chicken, peppers, onions, celery and cajun spices! You can enjoy a large serving of this cheesy keto soup recipe for only 8 net carbs!
Creamy Cajun Chicken Soup
This keto soup is so delicious- it’s the perfect amount of spice that’s balanced by rich cream and cream cheese. My Cajun Chicken Soup features tender chicken, chopped onion, celery and bell pepper, garlic cloves, Old Bay seasoning, your favorite hot sauce, fiery tomatoes, heavy cream and cream cheese. Everything comes together to make a perfectly melded soup- each bite tastes indulgent!
One of the best things about this soup is that despite how deliciously rich this meal is, it’s also low carb! You can enjoy a large bowl for only 6 net carbs. You only need one pan and this keto soup recipe is on the table in 30 minutes. You really can’t ask for a better weeknight meal- it helps you stick to your keto diet, everyone in your family is going to love it and there’s barely any cleanup!
Ingredients in Cajun Chicken Soup
As always, here is a quick overview of the ingredients used in our spicy chicken soup. For the complete recipe, just scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Butter, garlic
- Onion, celery and bell pepper- chopped
- Chicken breast, Old Bay or your favorite Cajun seasoning
- Hot sauce, fire roasted tomatoes
- Chicken broth, heavy cream, cream cheese
How do I make this spicy chicken soup?
You can have this one pot meal on the table in 4 easy steps!
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add your olive oil or butter and saute the garlic, onion, celery and bell pepper until tender- about 3-4 minutes.
- Add your chicken to the pot and top with your seasoning, hot sauce, tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer, cover and lower the heat to medium low.
- Allow to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every so often. When the chicken is fully cooked, remove and shred.
- While the chicken is removed from the pot, add the heavy cream and cream cheese. Whisk until the cream cheese is fully dissolved. Add the chicken back to the soup and serve.
What should I serve with this Cajun Soup?
The first thing my mind goes to- bread! Keto Bread is one of my favorite things to make and there are several great options for this cajun chicken soup. Red Lobster Copycat Biscuits are an amazing choice, as well as Bacon Cheddar Chive Biscuits, Three Cheese Biscuits or Rosemary Garlic Dinner Rolls.
I always love soup and a salad- plate this with an Easy Wedge Salad or a Simple Arugula Salad. For the kiddos at the table (or if you aren’t keto!), try an Air Fryer Grilled Cheese! For dessert, try Pumpkin Cheesecake Truffles, Turtle Brownies or Air Fryer Cookies!
Tips for the best keto chicken soup
- If you don’t have fire roasted tomatoes, you can substitute regular canned tomatoes
- Add toppings! Green onions, sharp cheddar, or additional hot sauce are all great options
- For additional topping ideas, check out this list of my favorite Keto Soup Toppers!
- If you don’t prefer a lot of spice (or your kids don’t), you can omit the hot sauce
How to Store and Reheat this creamy Chicken Soup
To store this soup, transfer to a plastic or glass container with an airtight lid and keep in the fridge. This soup will stay fresh for up to four days. To reheat, you can warm in either the microwave or the stove top. If using the microwave, spoon into a microwave safe bowl and cover.
Warm in 30 second increments (stirring in between) until hot enough for you. If warming on the stove top, all to a small pot and warm over medium low heat until warmed through.
How many carbs per serving?
This recipe will make 8 generous servings. It has only 8 net carbs in a large bowl! You can find all of the nutritional information under the recipe in the recipe card.
More Keto Soup Recipes
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped (any color or a mix)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay or Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces ounces cream cheese, softened
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven to medium heat. Add the olive oil and saute the garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper, and carrots 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Add the chicken to the pot, top with the cajun seasoning, hot sauce, drained fire roasted tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer, place the lid on the soup and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Allow the soup to cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the chicken is tender and cooked through remove from the pot and shred.
- While the chicken is on the cutting board add the heavy cream and softened cream cheese. Whisk until the cream cheese has dissolved. Stir the chicken back into the soup and serve immediately.
- Top with green onions, sharp cheddar cheese and hot sauce if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 8.3gCholesterol: 74.8mgSodium: 401mgCarbohydrates: 10.8gNet Carbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2.8gSugar: 6.5gProtein: 21.7g