This Creamy Cajun Chicken Soup is loaded with tender chicken, peppers, onions, celery and cajun spices! You can enjoy a large serving of this cheesy keto soup recipe for only 8 net carbs!
Creamy Cajun Chicken Soup
This keto soup is so delicious- it’s the perfect amount of spice that’s balanced by rich cream and cream cheese. My Cajun Chicken Soup features tender chicken, chopped onion, celery and bell pepper, garlic cloves, Old Bay seasoning, your favorite hot sauce, fiery tomatoes, heavy cream and cream cheese. Everything comes together to make a perfectly melded soup- each bite tastes indulgent.
One of the best things about this soup is that despite being rich and creamy, it’s still low carb! You can enjoy a large bowl for only 8 net carbs. You can eat this amazing comfort food completely guilt free. If you are on a low carb or keto diet, it is low enough in carbs that you still have room for another keto or low carb side dish!
This Cajun Chicken Soup only requires one pan and is on the table in only 30 minutes. You really can’t ask for a better weeknight meal- it helps you stick to your keto diet, everyone in your family is going to love it, and there is barely any cleanup!
Ingredients in Cajun Chicken Soup
As always, here is a quick overview of the ingredients used in our spicy chicken soup. For the complete recipe, just scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Butter: added to create a rich, thicker texture
- Minced Garlic: contributes to the Cajun flavor
- Vegetables: onion, celery, carrots, and bell pepper- chopped
- Chicken breast: chicken tenderloins or even boneless chicken thighs will work if you prefer dark meat
- Spices: Old Bay or your favorite Cajun seasoning
- Hot sauce: We love Frank’s but use the brand of your choice
- Fire roasted tomatoes: if you prefer a milder flavor you can use regular canned tomatoes
- Chicken broth: You can use store bought or homemade chicken broth. Here is a great homemade chicken broth recipe.
- Heavy cream: This is most important ingredient to create a delicious creamy, rich flavor
- Cream cheese: Adds to the texture and flavor of the soup
How to make this Cajun Chicken Soup
You can have this one pot meal on the table in just a few easy steps! In addition to the ingredients listed above, you will need a large stock pot or a 6 quart dutch oven. To make the best cajun chicken soup follow the instructions below or scroll to the bottom for the complete recipe card.
Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add your olive oil or butter and saute the garlic, onion, carrots, celery, and bell pepper until tender- about 3-4 minutes.
Add the chicken
Add your chicken to the pot and top with your seasoning, hot sauce, tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer, cover, and lower the heat to medium low.
Allow to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every so often. When the chicken is fully cooked, remove and shred.
While the chicken is removed from the pot, add the heavy cream and cream cheese. Whisk until the cream cheese is fully dissolved. Then add the chicken back to the soup. Now, it is ready to serve!
What should I serve with this Cajun Soup?
The first thing my mind goes to- bread! Keto Bread is one of my favorite things to make and there are several great options for this cajun chicken soup. Red Lobster Copycat Biscuits are an amazing choice, as well as Bacon Cheddar Chive Biscuits, Three Cheese Biscuits or Rosemary Garlic Dinner Rolls.
I always love soup and a salad- plate this with an Easy Wedge Salad or a Simple Arugula Salad. For the kiddos at the table (or if you aren’t keto!), try an Air Fryer Grilled Cheese! For dessert, try Pumpkin Cheesecake Truffles, Turtle Brownies or Air Fryer Cookies!
Tips for the Best Keto Chicken Soup
- If you don’t have fire roasted tomatoes, you can substitute regular canned tomatoes
- Add toppings! Green onions, sharp cheddar, or additional hot sauce are all great options
- For additional topping ideas, check out this list of my favorite Keto Soup Toppers!
- If you don’t prefer a lot of spice (or your kids don’t), you can omit the hot sauce
How to Store and Reheat this creamy Chicken Soup
To store this soup, allow to cool completely. Then transfer to a plastic or glass container with an airtight lid and keep in the fridge. This soup will stay fresh for up to four days. To reheat, you can warm in either the microwave or the stove top. If using the microwave, spoon into a microwave safe bowl and cover.
Warm in 30 second increments (stirring in between) until hot enough for you. If warming on the stove top, all to a small pot and warm over medium low heat until warmed through.
You can also freeze this recipe. Allow the soup to cool completely. Then place in an airtight, freezer safe container. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight prior to rewarming.
How many carbs per serving?
This recipe will make 8 generous servings and only has 8 net carbs in a large bowl! You can find all of the nutritional information under the recipe in the recipe card.
More Keto Soup Recipes
Creamy Cajun Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 1/2 cup bell pepper chopped (any color or a mix)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay or Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 14 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven to medium heat. Add the olive oil and saute the garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper, and carrots 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Add the chicken to the pot, top with the cajun seasoning, hot sauce, drained fire roasted tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer, place the lid on the soup and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Allow the soup to cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the chicken is tender and cooked through remove from the pot and shred.
- While the chicken is on the cutting board add the heavy cream and softened cream cheese. Whisk until the cream cheese has dissolved. Stir the chicken back into the soup and serve immediately.
- Top with green onions, sharp cheddar cheese and hot sauce if desired.